Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Well, im learning but i still have some questions

Ok its been awhile since i posted, but since then i have brought Visual C++, Sam's teach Yourself VC++ in 21 days and C++ Unleashed. I also have Genesis 3d SDK and Direct X 6.1 SDK. And last i brought windows game programming for dummies. Anyway i was wondering what is Genesis 3d SDK and Direct X 6.1 SDK. Last of my questions are me and my friends are planning on making an 2D sprite Adventure game, only thing is no one knows how to animate but we have skilled programmers and skilled artist. DO we need to know how to animate for a 2d sprite game?

Comments

• : Ok its been awhile since i posted, but since then i have brought Visual C++, Sam's teach Yourself VC++ in 21 days and C++ Unleashed. I also have Genesis 3d SDK and Direct X 6.1 SDK. And last i brought windows game programming for dummies. Anyway i was wondering what is Genesis 3d SDK and Direct X 6.1 SDK. Last of my questions are me and my friends are planning on making an 2D sprite Adventure game, only thing is no one knows how to animate but we have skilled programmers and skilled artist. DO we need to know how to animate for a 2d sprite game?

You absolutely do! Does your game have animation? Then, yes, you must understand animation; which is not an easy topic, especially in an event

driven API like Win32. C++ does more for you

with Direct X, but it will do nothing for you

without C++ exp. Just wondering, if you're experienced programmers, why buy inexperienced books? To answer your question, though, animation is proccessed in a loop that runs until the game or animation ends, usually referred to as the "game loop".

#include // MyGame.h

void main()

{

InitMyGame(); /* Initialize everything: Mode, DB, etc */

while (Run)

{

/* (Update everything: Respond to input, move images, life bars, etc) */

DrawMyImgs(); // Draw to VGA

WaitForRetrace(); // Wait for drawing to complete

ShowDB(); // Copy VGA to DB

}

DeInitMyGame(); /* Deallocate images, return

to text */

}

Black Art of 3D Game Programming, by Andre Lamonthe is probably the best book for beginners.

Start in DOS. Otherwise, you'll be learning forever.

• I'm not experienced in game programming only stuff like Visual Basic and Visual C++ the sams teach yourself Visual C++ in 21 days came with a game programming starter kit along with some other e-books. I am just trying to grasp the concept of using Direct X, I dont bother to ask the other guys because theyre always busy working on the game, and im the newbie in the group. So im just trying to see how this stuff works

• : I'm not experienced in game programming only stuff like Visual Basic and Visual C++ the sams teach yourself Visual C++ in 21 days came with a game programming starter kit along with some other e-books. I am just trying to grasp the concept of using Direct X, I dont bother to ask the other guys because theyre always busy working on the game, and im the newbie in the group. So im just trying to see how this stuff works

Genesis 3D is a 3D graphics engine. Unless you're planning on making some nice 3D games like DOOM/Quake or some nice movies with it I wouldn't bother using it in a 2D sprite-based adventuregame.

DirectX is a hard API to learn, which is one barrier that beginner programmers have to hurdle. If you want an easier way to do Windows graphics programming that is still as powerful, try using the WIP (work in progress) version of Allegro (http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/). You can find the link at the bottom. It works as a wrapper for DirectX and handles all the annoying syntaxes, etc. for you.

For animation it depends on what kind of animation you want to do. If you want to rotate the palette to create water-like effects use a 256 color sprite and every frame or so move up the palette entries you want to rotated and blit (image copy) that sprite with the modified palette.

With frame animation the easiet way to do it is to store the needed frames for the sprite in an array and then when you need to draw a particular frame of animation just use the frame number to correspond to the frame in the array.

Animation in a 2D Adventure game is a MUST if you want to make it look anything above the old Final Fantasy series on the Nintendo (the first one). Even THAT had animation.

-Xotor-