Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Password - Help!

EchoStatsEchoStats Member Posts: 19
Ok, I just got done installing RedHat 7.2 and I remember entering a password for setup, but never a login name, or handle. What the heck? Now I cannot even run the OS because I do not remeber the handle... I have tried administrator, and my password, but it doesn't work. What should I do? Help!

-=ryan=-

Comments

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642

Tried "root" as the handle ?

• EchoStatsEchoStats Member Posts: 19
    No, but I will thanks...
  • jeffpostjeffpost Member Posts: 316
    : Ok, I just got done installing RedHat 7.2 and I remember entering a password for setup, but never a login name, or handle. What the heck? Now I cannot even run the OS because I do not remeber the handle... I have tried administrator, and my password, but it doesn't work. What should I do? Help!
    :
    : -=ryan=-
    :
    Oof! You only set a password for 'root'. Use 'root' for your login, and the password you set up, then immediately set up a user account. Always log in using the user account, never root. If you need root privileges to do something, use the command 'su -l', do whatever you need to do, then type 'exit' to go back to your user account. Logging in as root makes your system as insecure as Windows--all kinds of nasties can bite you.

If all else fails, reinstall the system from scratch. When it asks you for a password, it is expecting the root password. There is an 'ADD' button for setting up a user account. Use it. Also remember to format your partition with the 'check for bad blocks' button selected.

how would I setup another user account within the balc screen?
    : how would I setup another user account within the black screen?
    :

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    : : how would I setup another user account within the black screen?
    : :
    :
    :

try adduser
    or userAdd

then passwd
    to set a password
    NOTE this will only work when loged in as ROOT.