Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Help configuring my lilo!!!

Pls. is there some one who can teach me how can i put a password in my lilo.conf. My system has WindowsXP with linux Mandrake partition. i want to put a password to it but i have something missing. i dont know what it is. PLS TEACH TO ME!

Comments

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    : Pls. is there some one who can teach me how can i put a password in my lilo.conf. My system has WindowsXP with linux Mandrake partition. i want to put a password to it but i have something missing. i dont know what it is. PLS TEACH TO ME!
    :

I might be wrong, but as far as I can tell from briefly scanning my referances I don't believe you can password protect LILO.

LILO is just a boot loader which selects the operating system that you want to use.

I would just have password protection on the operating systems. (in linux set up what accounts you want and use the passwd command to set passwords for them

In winXP in your control pannel there should be a USERS section, unless M$ changed that as well, where you can configure passwords for each user to prevent unauthorized access.

I don't see password protection on the boot loader to be much good because if you want to block access to XP, all a person has to do is boot with a floppy and FDISK /MBR then the boot loader is either gone or not called so a person is taken directaly to to the primary OS which is almost always going to be your M$ OS on drive C

If someone knows more about security and boot loaders, feel free to correct me.