Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

opengl or directx ,vc or bc

gopoogopoo Member Posts: 74
which 3d graphics engine is easy to use?
opengl or directx
which compiler easy to use vc 6.o or bc 5.5
and
where can i find a 3d graphics library based on opengl?
where can i find 3d tutorials on opengl?
can you help me?
please.
thank you

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    : which 3d graphics engine is easy to use?
    : opengl or directx
    : which compiler easy to use vc 6.o or bc 5.5
    : and
    : where can i find a 3d graphics library based on opengl?
    : where can i find 3d tutorials on opengl?
    : can you help me?
    : please.
    : thank you
    :
    Here's what I recomend:
    Visual series for total programing newbies to allow you to easily program something then look at the source to see what does what.
    For more experienced programmers who need more control and power over their projects, I recomend Borland or my personal favorite, Notepad!
    As far as your engines go, I wasted a week trying to learn DX, and got nowhere, but within two hours of studying OpenGL I was rendering shapes on-screen with shadows, blending, etc. OpenGL/Glide also looks about 400 times better than DX. Try running Unreal or UT in DX 1024x768x32, then do the same in OpenGL. The difference will blow your mind. The same test could be run on Quake2, 3, Heretic II, Hexen II, Max Payne, most ANY big game! DirectX only has the advantage of being faster on lower-end machines and being more compatible with video cards than OpenGL, in my opinion. However, if you program OpenGL properly, you can make it just as compatible.

Hope that helped.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    : Here's what I recomend:
    : Visual series for total programing newbies to allow you to easily program something then look at the source to see what does what.

VC++ is very good. I don't say borland is bad, I myself use it for everything (ofcourse I use the command line one), but ofcourse both have their advantages.

[blue]
    : As far as your engines go, I wasted a week trying to learn DX,
    :and got nowhere, but within two hours of studying OpenGL I was rendering shapes on-screen with shadows, blending, etc. OpenGL/Glide also looks about 400 times better than DX. Try running Unreal or UT in DX 1024x768x32, then do the same in OpenGL. The difference will blow your mind. The same test could be run on Quake2, 3, Heretic II, Hexen II, Max Payne, most ANY big game! DirectX only has the advantage of being faster on lower-end machines and being more compatible with video cards than OpenGL, in my opinion. However, if you program OpenGL properly, you can make it just as compatible.
    [/blue]

As far I can tell you both are equally good. You may prefer one over the other. This has been a long and endless war on Opengl VS DirectX. The only advantage Opengl has over DirectX is portability ease to other Operating systems.

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    Yeah I forgot to mention that OpenGL was a billion times easier to port over. Once again though, since practically all Win9X and above systems have DirectX installed, DX would be compatible on far more video cards than OpenGL, but (after testing this last night trying to tweak Infiltration out) I have found DX draws slower than OpenGL for some reason. Not by anything noticeable, but Inf (a UT mod) renders in Glide/OpenGL at 60-100frames per millisecond on my machine, yet when I swap to DX I lose between 10 and 15 frames. I guess DX has more software rendering to go through to be more compatible or something.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]