DirectX or OpenGL? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

DirectX or OpenGL?

Ok. I have been coding some graphics code in dos and I want to test the windows enviroment. What I would like to know is: Should I program against OpenGL or DirectX? Which has the best future and which is the best?

Kel

Comments

• : Ok. I have been coding some graphics code in dos and I want to test the windows enviroment. What I would like to know is: Should I program against OpenGL or DirectX? Which has the best future and which is the best?

It depends on what you want to code. If it's 3-D based, use OpenGL. If it's just plain graphics like BITMAP blitting, then use DirectX. DirectX is just a programming API for Windows so you don't have to bother with different video/sound/etc. card specs.

-Xotor-

• : : Ok. I have been coding some graphics code in dos and I want to test the windows enviroment. What I would like to know is: Should I program against OpenGL or DirectX? Which has the best future and which is the best?

: It depends on what you want to code. If it's 3-D based, use OpenGL. If it's just plain graphics like BITMAP blitting, then use DirectX. DirectX is just a programming API for Windows so you don't have to bother with different video/sound/etc. card specs.

: -Xotor-

Aha. Ok. Well If I want to start with, let's say a tilebased game. Then I should start with DirectX? Where do I get a reference for that? And one more thing. I have been searching for a reference for OpenGL but found zip, nada.. anyone know?

• : : : Ok. I have been coding some graphics code in dos and I want to test the windows enviroment. What I would like to know is: Should I program against OpenGL or DirectX? Which has the best future and which is the best?

: : It depends on what you want to code. If it's 3-D based, use OpenGL. If it's just plain graphics like BITMAP blitting, then use DirectX. DirectX is just a programming API for Windows so you don't have to bother with different video/sound/etc. card specs.

: : -Xotor-

: Aha. Ok. Well If I want to start with, let's say a tilebased game. Then I should start with DirectX? Where do I get a reference for that? And one more thing. I have been searching for a reference for OpenGL but found zip, nada.. anyone know?

Well I'd start to learn regular graphics programming before moving onto OpenGL. OpenGL for the most part simply does Math computations extremely fast so you don't have to rely on the processor. I'd suggest trying out WinAllegro (http://members.xoom.com/onestone/) for DirectX, it makes it so you don't have to learn that painful API. It makes game programming a breeze and plus Allegro is fast becoming a multi-platform API with support for DOS, DirectX, Linux, and possibly Mac.

-Xotor-

• : : : : Ok. I have been coding some graphics code in dos and I want to test the windows enviroment. What I would like to know is: Should I program against OpenGL or DirectX? Which has the best future and which is the best?

: : : It depends on what you want to code. If it's 3-D based, use OpenGL. If it's just plain graphics like BITMAP blitting, then use DirectX. DirectX is just a programming API for Windows so you don't have to bother with different video/sound/etc. card specs.

: : : -Xotor-

: : Aha. Ok. Well If I want to start with, let's say a tilebased game. Then I should start with DirectX? Where do I get a reference for that? And one more thing. I have been searching for a reference for OpenGL but found zip, nada.. anyone know?

: Well I'd start to learn regular graphics programming before moving onto OpenGL. OpenGL for the most part simply does Math computations extremely fast so you don't have to rely on the processor. I'd suggest trying out WinAllegro (http://members.xoom.com/onestone/) for DirectX, it makes it so you don't have to learn that painful API. It makes game programming a breeze and plus Allegro is fast becoming a multi-platform API with support for DOS, DirectX, Linux, and possibly Mac.

: -Xotor-

Ok I'll check it out.. Hmm but to tell the truth, I am a API lover and want to learn that someday. Is there a god reference on that?