VGA start address - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

VGA start address

How do I change the VGA start address? I want to create some sort of page flipping. I understand that I can do this throu the CRTC index but I do not know how. Is there some sort of reference I can use or can someone of you help me out?

Epra..

Comments

• : How do I change the VGA start address? I want to create some sort of page flipping. I understand that I can do this throu the CRTC index but I do not know how. Is there some sort of reference I can use or can someone of you help me out?

Well, it involves using ModeX, which is very different from Mode 13. If you've never used it, I suggest getting a book on it.

If you have, and have gotten the mode setup and understand how the memory is accessed, then here is how to page-flip (From "PC Game Programming Explorer" by Dave Roberts).

void SetScreenStart(unsigned short offset)

{

unsigned char offsetLow, offsetHigh;

offsetLow = offset & 0x00FF;

offsetHigh = (offset >> 8) & 0x00FF;

asm cli; // disable interrupts

outportb(CRTC_INDEX_REG, START_ADDRESS_HIGH_INDEX);

outportb(CRTC_DATA_REG, offsetHigh);

outportb(CRTC_INDEX_REG, START_ADDRESS_LOW_INDEX);

outportb(CRTC_DATA_REG, offsetLow);

asm sti; // enable ints

}

The offset you pass in the offset in video memory where the screen will be drawn next frame, allowing page flipping and hardware scrolling.

define CRTC_INDEX_REG 0x3D4

define CRTC_DATA_REG 0x3D5

define START_ADDRESS_HIGH_INDEX 0xC

define START_ADDRESS_LOW_INDEX 0xD

Rock