How to Grab a Character From The Screen? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How to Grab a Character From The Screen?

speedscootspeedscoot Posts: 11Member
I've been working on this new unit for a while, it will make it much easier for someone to create a dos-program with application like interface.

The Windows, shadows, dialog boxes and everything!

Now i have one problem: You can put a Character somewhere on the screen using GotoXY and Write, but is there a way to Grab a Character from the screen.

For example i want to get the character at the point 40x17!

Please Help!

Comments

• JaywalkJaywalk Posts: 105Member
    : I've been working on this new unit for a while, it will make it much easier for someone to create a dos-program with application like interface.
    :
    : The Windows, shadows, dialog boxes and everything!
    :
    : Now i have one problem: You can put a Character somewhere on the screen using GotoXY and Write, but is there a way to Grab a Character from the screen.
    :
    : For example i want to get the character at the point 40x17!
    :
    : Please Help!
    :
    Nothing like this is built into Pascal, but there are 2 basic ways of doing it. One way is to request the proper service from BIOS using assembly. Otherwise you could just take a peek at the memory.

The info on the screen is stored starting at memory address $B800:0. Each character on the screen from left to right, top to bottom - uses 2 bytes: 1 for the ASCII code and 1 for the attributes like colour and blinking. This basic formula reads a character at (x,y) from the screen into a variable MyVar.

MyVar := Mem[$B800:x*2 + y*160];

• JaywalkJaywalk Posts: 105Member
    Here's a trick. You can map an array to thte screen.

[code]
    Type
    TextScreenChar = record
    Character: char;
    Attributes: byte;
    end;

Var
    TextScreen: array[1..25,1..40] of TextChar absolute $B800:0;
    [/code]

You want to read 40x17? It will be in TextScreen[17,40].Character

This code here counts x and y from 1 to 80 and 1 to 25, just like GotoXY (i.e. the top-left pixel is 1x1). The method I gave in my last post counted from 0 to 79 and 0 to 24 (i.e. the top-left pixel is at 0x0), so if you take that route remember to deduct 1 from your x and y.

• FlubFlub Posts: 8Member
    : Here's a trick. You can map an array to thte screen.
    :
    : [code]
    : Type
    : TextScreenChar = record
    : Character: char;
    : Attributes: byte;
    : end;
    :
    : Var
    : TextScreen: array[1..25,1..40] of TextChar absolute $B800:0;
    : [/code]
    :
    : You want to read 40x17? It will be in TextScreen[17,40].Character
    :
    : This code here counts x and y from 1 to 80 and 1 to 25, just like GotoXY (i.e. the top-left pixel is 1x1). The method I gave in my last post counted from 0 to 79 and 0 to 24 (i.e. the top-left pixel is at 0x0), so if you take that route remember to deduct 1 from your x and y.
    :

wow, cool

• netgertnetgert Posts: 331Member
    : Here's a trick. You can map an array to thte screen.
    :
    : [code]
    : Type
    : TextScreenChar = record
    : Character: char;
    : Attributes: byte;
    : end;
    :
    : Var
    : TextScreen: array[1..25,1..40] of TextChar absolute $B800:0;
    : [/code]
    :
    : You want to read 40x17? It will be in TextScreen[17,40].Character
    :
    : This code here counts x and y from 1 to 80 and 1 to 25, just like GotoXY (i.e. the top-left pixel is 1x1). The method I gave in my last post counted from 0 to 79 and 0 to 24 (i.e. the top-left pixel is at 0x0), so if you take that route remember to deduct 1 from your x and y.
    :
    :
    That's cool. But what about 50 lines EGA or less than 80*25 lines (CO40+Font8x8)? How to make it there?

[blue][b][italic]NetGert[/italic][/blue] :-)
    [red]Thanx[/b] in [b]advance[/b][/red]