Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Programming 2-D tile-based board games

I am interested in programming some of my old favorite board games for a Windows environment. I am thinking in particular of Avalon Hill Games like Magic Realm or War and Peace. These are tile-based games, and one of my problems is I don't know which programming language to use. I started with C++ but decided maybe that wasn't the best to use or easiest to learn. I am pretty much a beginner - I have done some programming for scientific applications but nothing with graphics. I need one that can deal with rotatable hexagons, matching up edges correctly, and where the board (made up of hexagonal tiles) can change for every game, as well as during the game. Also it would be nice to have a lot of "stock" Windows functionalities for the user interface, like buttons, menus, etc., to make the game easy to run and program (this makes me think of Visual Basic). These games also have a lot of complicated logic. Can someone help me choose a programming language that would be best for this type of game?

Comments

• : I am interested in programming some of my old favorite board games for a Windows environment. I am thinking in particular of Avalon Hill Games like Magic Realm or War and Peace. These are tile-based games, and one of my problems is I don't know which programming language to use. I started with C++ but decided maybe that wasn't the best to use or easiest to learn. I am pretty much a beginner - I have done some programming for scientific applications but nothing with graphics. I need one that can deal with rotatable hexagons, matching up edges correctly, and where the board (made up of hexagonal tiles) can change for every game, as well as during the game. Also it would be nice to have a lot of "stock" Windows functionalities for the user interface, like buttons, menus, etc., to make the game easy to run and program (this makes me think of Visual Basic). These games also have a lot of complicated logic. Can someone help me choose a programming language that would be best for this type of game?

It all depends on what library you use. I personally love the Allegro Library, so I used the WinAllegro library for my graphics programming (full directx support etc.). It is in C/C++. However it doesn't use Windows menus and such, you'd have to make your own, or use Allegro's system. Look around on the Net to see what libraries are availible. Then make your selection.

-Xotor-