Tips on writing FPS independent games - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Tips on writing FPS independent games

I'm writing a little 2D game and for the moment there is a FPS limit in it. I would like to make the game speed independent of the FPS so that faster computers can get smoother animations. Does anyone know any article/newsgroup covering this? (Windows/DirectX/Any language)

Comments

• : I'm writing a little 2D game and for the moment there is a FPS limit in it. I would like to make the game speed independent of the FPS so that faster computers can get smoother animations. Does anyone know any article/newsgroup covering this? (Windows/DirectX/Any language)

Base your IO off of a timer that is system-clock independent. Then make your graphics run in a callback loop which only polls the variables and prints to the screen and is based off of system clock ticks.

-Xotor-

• re: frame independance....

I've never bothered trying to write one (a frame independant engine...), but wouldn't it work if you simply specified a "unit"'s speed in pixles/second rather than pixels/frame?