DInput and Keyboad ISR problems - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

DInput and Keyboad ISR problems

I have a problem with getting certain keyboard input in both DInput for Win, and from DOS using an ISR. In both of my versions I have problems when the following 3 keys are being pressed at the same time: Left arrow, down arrow, and left ALT. (maybe just a vertical arrow and horizontal arrow with the ALT).

I've also seen this with many example keyboard ISRs I've downloaded. Is this a keyboard hardware problem, or is there some work-around for this. It seems that every game uses this combination, but except for an early version of DOOM I haven't noticed it other games.

Thanks.

Rock

Comments

• On closer inspection, it looks as if other games do have this problem too. I guess my keyboard is either damaged or junk. I'll have to see if I dig up another one if the problem will go away, since I don't have this problem with my laptop.

Ohh, and since I didn't say it, the problem is that it seems the last key of the three to be pressed doesn't generate an interrupt. Anybody see this with other computers?

: I have a problem with getting certain keyboard input in both DInput for Win, and from DOS using an ISR. In both of my versions I have problems when the following 3 keys are being pressed at the same time: Left arrow, down arrow, and left ALT. (maybe just a vertical arrow and horizontal arrow with the ALT).

: I've also seen this with many example keyboard ISRs I've downloaded. Is this a keyboard hardware problem, or is there some work-around for this. It seems that every game uses this combination, but except for an early version of DOOM I haven't noticed it other games.

• I also have this problem, but I've had it with many key combinations. I have been able to get as many as 6 or 7 keys at a time, but only certain keys. There seems to be keys that cannot be detected together. In some cases, the order you press them in has changed it.

If you make a program that prints out a value for each key that is pressed at any time, you can see this with many key combinations (especially extended keys like F keys, arrow keys, and shifting keys).

However, I've only tested this on 386/486 computers. Has anyone noticed this on a Pentium?

MLINK

: On closer inspection, it looks as if other games do have this problem too. I guess my keyboard is either damaged or junk. I'll have to see if I dig up another one if the problem will go away, since I don't have this problem with my laptop.

: Ohh, and since I didn't say it, the problem is that it seems the last key of the three to be pressed doesn't generate an interrupt. Anybody see this with other computers?

: : I have a problem with getting certain keyboard input in both DInput for Win, and from DOS using an ISR. In both of my versions I have problems when the following 3 keys are being pressed at the same time: Left arrow, down arrow, and left ALT. (maybe just a vertical arrow and horizontal arrow with the ALT).

: : I've also seen this with many example keyboard ISRs I've downloaded. Is this a keyboard hardware problem, or is there some work-around for this. It seems that every game uses this combination, but except for an early version of DOOM I haven't noticed it other games.