Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

DInput and Keyboad ISR problems

I have a problem with getting certain keyboard input in both DInput for Win, and from DOS using an ISR. In both of my versions I have problems when the following 3 keys are being pressed at the same time: Left arrow, down arrow, and left ALT. (maybe just a vertical arrow and horizontal arrow with the ALT).

I've also seen this with many example keyboard ISRs I've downloaded. Is this a keyboard hardware problem, or is there some work-around for this. It seems that every game uses this combination, but except for an early version of DOOM I haven't noticed it other games.

Thanks.

Rock

Comments

• On closer inspection, it looks as if other games do have this problem too. I guess my keyboard is either damaged or junk. I'll have to see if I dig up another one if the problem will go away, since I don't have this problem with my laptop.

Ohh, and since I didn't say it, the problem is that it seems the last key of the three to be pressed doesn't generate an interrupt. Anybody see this with other computers?

: I have a problem with getting certain keyboard input in both DInput for Win, and from DOS using an ISR. In both of my versions I have problems when the following 3 keys are being pressed at the same time: Left arrow, down arrow, and left ALT. (maybe just a vertical arrow and horizontal arrow with the ALT).

: I've also seen this with many example keyboard ISRs I've downloaded. Is this a keyboard hardware problem, or is there some work-around for this. It seems that every game uses this combination, but except for an early version of DOOM I haven't noticed it other games.

• I also have this problem, but I've had it with many key combinations. I have been able to get as many as 6 or 7 keys at a time, but only certain keys. There seems to be keys that cannot be detected together. In some cases, the order you press them in has changed it.

If you make a program that prints out a value for each key that is pressed at any time, you can see this with many key combinations (especially extended keys like F keys, arrow keys, and shifting keys).

However, I've only tested this on 386/486 computers. Has anyone noticed this on a Pentium?

MLINK

: On closer inspection, it looks as if other games do have this problem too. I guess my keyboard is either damaged or junk. I'll have to see if I dig up another one if the problem will go away, since I don't have this problem with my laptop.

: Ohh, and since I didn't say it, the problem is that it seems the last key of the three to be pressed doesn't generate an interrupt. Anybody see this with other computers?

: : I have a problem with getting certain keyboard input in both DInput for Win, and from DOS using an ISR. In both of my versions I have problems when the following 3 keys are being pressed at the same time: Left arrow, down arrow, and left ALT. (maybe just a vertical arrow and horizontal arrow with the ALT).

: : I've also seen this with many example keyboard ISRs I've downloaded. Is this a keyboard hardware problem, or is there some work-around for this. It seems that every game uses this combination, but except for an early version of DOOM I haven't noticed it other games.