DB for online application? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

DB for online application?

Among Oracle and SQL server, which would you think is more suitable for an online application?..in terms of multiple user who could be accessing the database at the same time.

-sweetgirl-

Comments

• melissa_may1melissa_may1 Posts: 937Member
    : Among Oracle and SQL server, which would you think is more suitable for an online application?..in terms of multiple user who could be accessing the database at the same time.
    :
    : -sweetgirl-
    :

You can't go wrong with either one. They are both heavy-duty "mission critical" servers.

Depending on what day it is, either Oracle or SQL will have some features that the other doesn't Usually that changes with the next release.

I'd take a look at the features for both, and make sure that one or the other isn't missing something important to you.

That said, I've always use SQL server, either Microsoft's, or the earlier Sybase versions. I've never used Oracle. SQL has always had what I needed, and it's what I started with. I tend to stay with what I know, unless there's a compelling reason to change.

There has been no compelling reason for me to change to Oracle. Just as there's been no compelling need to change to SQL Server 2000. I'm still running 6.5 and 7.0 in my installations.

Let us know what you decide, and why. It's always interesting to see what people do...

Melissa

• sweetgirlsweetgirl Posts: 29Member
    I'm actually working on a virtual fitting room program that involves 3D human modeling, developed using OpenGL with Visual C++. People has been encouraging me to use SQL Server cause it belongs to the same family as Visual, all under Microsoft family. Moreover, there is not much difference between Oracle n SQL Server (not so sure bout this, read some article that mentioned this).

The purpose I need a database is to store information (text) on the clothings I need for the program as well as paths for the image files, which needs to be frequently accessed. I guess that's all I need for a database.

Making the application "online" would be a further implementation. I haven't started on the program though, but I would like to decide on which DB best suits me, taking into consideration the multiuser environment in an
    "online" application.
    -sweetgirl-