Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

RPG question... please help

I'm new to graphical programming in Windows, and I'm trying to make a game like SimCity. Does anyone know what APIs I would need to use for painting the bitmaps onto the screen and tiling them? Perhaps some example source code or tutorials?

Comments

• : I'm new to graphical programming in Windows, and I'm trying to make a game like SimCity. Does anyone know what APIs I would need to use for painting the bitmaps onto the screen and tiling them? Perhaps some example source code or tutorials?

Your best bets are Direct3D or OpenGL. I'd use Direct3D because it's more robust. You can get the SDK on a cd from microsoft.

• : : I'm new to graphical programming in Windows, and I'm trying to make a game like SimCity. Does anyone know what APIs I would need to use for painting the bitmaps onto the screen and tiling them? Perhaps some example source code or tutorials?

: Your best bets are Direct3D or OpenGL. I'd use Direct3D because it's more robust. You can get the SDK on a cd from microsoft.

: You might not need an API call directly for tiling bitmaps on the screen. You can use an image list, which is found in the Windows Common Controls 5 component in your toolbar, if you are still in need of the solution, I can send you some source code for how to tile the bitmaps on to a picturebox. I am using this method for a VB RPG of my own. You can Email me at crusarianlord@hotmail.com.