Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

3D 1st Person Engine

Hey, everyone.
I'm making a 1st person game that resembles a Wolfenstein like engine, and now I'm at the part where I need to figure out how to get it so the game knows which walls are hidden behind others (thus not displayed), and which ones need to be displayed.
I've been thinking about it and I can come up with a couple of algorithms, none of them that guarantee to work 100% of the time though. Does anyone have an approach that worked for them, or know of one that works best?

Thanks alot

Comments

• GiantGiant Posts: 225Member
    Hi.
    Wolfenstein was written using a method known as ray casting. It simulates light, reversed!!! What the hell does that mean??? Instean of light being bounced off objects (walls ) etc and then into your eye, it shoots rays out of your eye, until it hits something then draws it.

If you want to check out an example of a ray caster I wrote check out the download section of

http://www.stupidcoders.cjb.net/

Giant

: Hey, everyone.
    : I'm making a 1st person game that resembles a Wolfenstein like engine, and now I'm at the part where I need to figure out how to get it so the game knows which walls are hidden behind others (thus not displayed), and which ones need to be displayed.
    : I've been thinking about it and I can come up with a couple of algorithms, none of them that guarantee to work 100% of the time though. Does anyone have an approach that worked for them, or know of one that works best?
    :
    : Thanks alot
    :