Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

I need some Linux/Apache help

Tom HTom H Member Posts: 6
I am currently working on a CGI scripting project for school. I need to be able to port my code over to a UNIX/Linux machine and run the script with Apache webserver. I need to know if it is possible to setup Apache on a stand alone Linux box just for the purpose of testing cgi scripts. The box has no contact with the outside right now (no modem/NIC). If Apache will run this way then what about the configuration? Is is too much trouble? Working this stuff over a SSH to the school takes for ever and it is very cumbersom too.

On another note, is it possible to get a 2K and a Linux box to talk to each other using just a pair of NIC's and a crossover?

Thanks for any help yall can provide.

Comments

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    I need to know if it is possible to setup Apache on a stand alone Linux box just for the purpose of testing cgi scripts.

Yes it possible

The box has no contact with the outside right now (no modem/NIC). If Apache will run this way then what about the configuration? Is is too much trouble?
    Don't know much about this.

Working this stuff over a SSH to the school takes for ever and it is very cumbersom too.
    Can't help you here.

: On another note, is it possible to get a 2K and a Linux box to talk to each other using just a pair of NIC's and a crossover?
    Yes this is possible. You can use telnet to communicate.

: Thanks for any help yall can provide.
    You are welcome.
    :

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    I'll try to cover anything that gautam avoided

: I am currently working on a CGI scripting project for school. I need to be able to port my code over to a UNIX/Linux machine and run the script with Apache webserver. I need to know if it is possible to setup Apache on a stand alone Linux box just for the purpose of testing cgi scripts. The box has no contact with the outside right now (no modem/NIC). If Apache will run this way then what about the configuration? Is is too much trouble?

Really if you know how to install linux on a machine with NIC/modem, this will be a breeze. You still have to include the network controls and set up the loopback interfase (localhost or 127.0.0.2). Now instead of having domain name, you just log into the system localy (your only option) and then with you browser (NS in X or lynx at the command prompt) just go to http://localhost. As for apache configuration I believe the only thing necessary on linux redhat 6.0 and up would be to set the servername to localhost in apache.conf or httpd.conf

Working this stuff over a SSH to the school takes for ever and it is very cumbersom too.

: On another note, is it possible to get a 2K and a Linux box to talk to each other using just a pair of NIC's and a crossover?
    :
    : Thanks for any help yall can provide.
    :
    :