breakout - a little help needed - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

breakout - a little help needed

beardtrixbeardtrix Posts: 44Member
I'm making the game breakout in pascal as part of a school project. I'm a bit stuck on a couple of things.

in the main game loop i have a procedure called ball_move; I have done this so that the ball will be constantly moving/bouncing. however, because the keypresses are also monitered in the main game loop, whenever you move the paddle the ball waits for the paddle to move then carries on thus creating a slow motion effect on the ball. how do i stop this from happening?

the next problem is to do with collision detection. I have drawn all my blocks in a procedure called bar. however, i don't know how to make the ball bounce off these blocks. I can only do it for 1 block. how do i make it bounce off all the blocks?

my last problem is that i don't know how to delete the block that the ball has hit. i have a bit of an idea but i need some help with it.

my blocks are in an array like this:
[code]
var type barinfo = record
x,y:integer;
visible: boolean;
end;

bars: array [1..7*5] of barinfo;
[/code]
if you can help then please e-mail me (mailto:[email protected]) and i'll send you all my code.

Comments

• ibyiby Posts: 323Member
    : I'm making the game breakout in pascal as part of a school project. I'm a bit stuck on a couple of things.
    :
    : in the main game loop i have a procedure called ball_move; I have done this so that the ball will be constantly moving/bouncing. however, because the keypresses are also monitered in the main game loop, whenever you move the paddle the ball waits for the paddle to move then carries on thus creating a slow motion effect on the ball. how do i stop this from happening?
    :
    : the next problem is to do with collision detection. I have drawn all my blocks in a procedure called bar. however, i don't know how to make the ball bounce off these blocks. I can only do it for 1 block. how do i make it bounce off all the blocks?
    :
    : my last problem is that i don't know how to delete the block that the ball has hit. i have a bit of an idea but i need some help with it.
    :
    : my blocks are in an array like this:
    : [code]
    : var type barinfo = record
    : x,y:integer;
    : visible: boolean;
    : end;
    :
    : bars: array [1..7*5] of barinfo;
    : [/code]
    : if you can help then please e-mail me (mailto:[email protected]) and i'll send you all my code.
    :

Send me an email and I'll try to help you...

Iby

• NordquistNordquist Posts: 49Member
    I've made a Pong-clone and had trouble with the same thing (if I understood it right).
    -> The ball slows down when a keypress is detected in the game loop.

I corrected this with a
    delay(8)
    placed in the game loop, and only run when the keypressed isn't.
    Like this...

if keypressed then key:=UPCASE(readkey);
    if key=#27 then end:=1;
    if key= blablabla;
    else delay(8);

The number needs to be tested until it's the right number. Maybe someone else has a more beautilful way to do it, but this works.

• chobochobo Posts: 30Member
    [code]PROGRAM Keyboard;
    USES Crt, DOS;
    VAR
    OldKbd: PROCEDURE;
    Abort : BOOLEAN;

{$F+}
    PROCEDURE NewKbd; INTERRUPT;
    VAR
    ScanCode: BYTE;
    BEGIN
    ScanCode := Port[$60];

WriteLn(ScanCode);
    IF ScanCode = 1
    THEN
    Abort := TRUE;

ASM
    mov ax,0C00h
    int 21h
    END;

INLINE($9C); {Same as Asm pushf end}
    OldKbd
    END;
    {$F-}

PROCEDURE SetNewKbd;
    VAR
    i : BYTE;
    BEGIN
    GetIntVec(9, @OldKbd);
    SetIntVec(9, addr(NewKbd));
    END;

PROCEDURE SetOldKbd;
    BEGIN
    SetIntVec(9, @OldKbd)
    END;

BEGIN
    ClrScr;
    SetNewKbd;
    REPEAT
    UNTIL Abort;
    SetOldKbd
    END.[/code]

this is are three procedures i wrote after an idea of Daniel John Walker. after setnewkbd has been called newkbd will be called whenever a key is pressed. i think this solves your problem, but i am not sure. try it. if you change the procedure to fit ur program it could look like:

[code]PROGRAM Keyboard;
    USES Crt, DOS;
    VAR
    OldKbd: PROCEDURE;
    Abort : BOOLEAN;

{$F+}
    PROCEDURE NewKbd; INTERRUPT;
    VAR
    ScanCode: BYTE;
    BEGIN
    ScanCode := Port[$60];

IF ScanCode = 75 {code for left arrow}