Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Newbie questions

JulienJulien Member Posts: 13
My computer has:
C: with WinMe and my programs
D: empty
E: CD driver
F: burner

I want to install Linux on D:
I am told to make several partitions

Does Windows recognise these partitions?

Will Windows retrieve the CD driver and the driver whose name
are changed?

Is it possible to retrieve the initial configuration with only
WinMe if Linux is not convenient?

Comments

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    : My computer has:
    : C: with WinMe and my programs
    : D: empty
    : E: CD driver
    : F: burner
    :
    : I want to install Linux on D:
    : I am told to make several partitions

you will need to make at least a root partition for linux (/) and a swap partition. it it also recommended to make a /home and /usr partition.

: Does Windows recognise these partitions?

With linux, these partitions are in an ext2 format which windows will not recognise. I have never tried it on any partition except /home but I think you could use FAT or FAT32 formats that windows would recognise but it would slow linux down. Once again I have never tried this and cannot say for certain if it would work.

: Will Windows retrieve the CD driver and the driver whose name
    : are changed?

windows will still detect you CD drive and burner, however if you have removed the D drive/partition by changing it to a format that windows doesn't recognise, the drive letters for your CD drive and burner will change

:
    : Is it possible to retrieve the initial configuration with only
    : WinMe if Linux is not convenient?
    :
    fairly simple... just use FDISK to remove the linux partitions or even simpler if you have it, use Partition Magic.
    To remove the LILO (LInux boot LOader), just run fdisk /mbr at the dos prompt.

Hope this helps.
    If you have more questions just let me know.
    Ben Martin
    AKA Garwain

• int_21hint_21h Member Posts: 47
    First of all get rid of that turd winME...
    depending on the distro of linux you use, the partitions will be setup for you on D:
    so you shouldnt fret about that,...windows will not recognize the partitions

and you are going to have to install a boot manager to be able to choose which OS you want to boot into

give it a shot,...its not like you will lose your arm if you screw it up ! and you will learn alot

p.s.- if this is your first time doing this, i suggest having easy access to an internet connected compter while you work on this one