bounding box - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

bounding box

How would I work out if a bounding box hit a triangle plane or triangle and also work out the intersection point.

Also For my collision detection I worked out four vertices around my car.
Now I want to rotate and translate the vertices so they are always the tightest fit around the car. Basically its a OBB.
Any ideas on how to do this. I could cos/sin or use some matrix stuff but I need more info.

Comments

• flashlaserflashlaser Posts: 49Member
    Sorry for all the questions but just one more.
    I got this code for computing a Oriented Bounding Box from magic-software.com. Can someone explain to me whats happening and how to use this function.

[source]
    void Box2::ComputeVertices (Vector2 akVertex[4]) const
    {
    Vector2 akEAxis[2] =
    {
    m_afExtent[0]*m_akAxis[0],
    m_afExtent[1]*m_akAxis[1]
    };

akVertex[0] = m_kCenter - akEAxis[0] - akEAxis[1];
    akVertex[1] = m_kCenter + akEAxis[0] - akEAxis[1];
    akVertex[2] = m_kCenter + akEAxis[0] + akEAxis[1];
    akVertex[3] = m_kCenter - akEAxis[0] + akEAxis[1];
    }
    [/source]

The code is called MgcBox2.cpp under 2d core.

• WudanWudan Posts: 66Member
    : How would I work out if a bounding box hit a triangle plane or triangle and also work out the intersection point.
    :
    : Also For my collision detection I worked out four vertices around my car.
    : Now I want to rotate and translate the vertices so they are always the tightest fit around the car. Basically its a OBB.
    : Any ideas on how to do this. I could cos/sin or use some matrix stuff but I need more info.
    :

To create a bounding box, step through every vertex in the model and store the minumum & maximums for x y and z. From these you can create your 8 verts for the bounding box. The points will be....
    minx,miny,minz,
    maxx,miny,minz
    minx,maxy,minz,
    manx,maxy,minz,
    minx,miny,maxz,
    maxx,miny,maxz
    minx,maxy,maxz,
    manx,maxy,maxz,

for collision detection, its handy to know about something called a 'normal'. A normal is a small vector, that shows the direction that the face is pointing. If you imagine a triangle flat on the floor, built from the following verts...

the normal to this trinagle would be..

0,1,0 ( pointing straight up ). Normals usualy go from 0 to 1. Imagine it being a spike poking out of the centre of the face.

For collision detection, you could see if a point is within a volume ( ie a building ). make the building from 6 faces, each with a normal.
    If you take any point on the face( one of its verts will do ), and dot product it with the planes normal, you get a value P. If you dot product your collision point ( one of the points on the collision box ) with the normal you get a value C. If C is less than P, the point is behind the plane. Do this for all the planes in your volume. If P is always less than C, the point is inside the volume and theres been a collision.

To find the dot product of two vectors
    Vector v1;
    Vector v2;
    float dot;

dot = (v1.x * v2.x) + (v1.y * v2.y) + (v1.z * v2.z);

have fun :)