Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Anonymous replies?

Hi!

The anonymous e-mail feature of the user's profile is great. But it would be nice to be able to reply to users anonymously, even if they list their e-mail address in their profile.

As it stands, somebody can e-mail me, but if I need to reply, they will get my e-mail address.

Why is this a problem? I often get e-mails that are best answered at the forum. I'd like to be able to reply to the senders and tell them that, without revealing my e-mail address.

Thank you for a great forum, for your interest in accepting our suggestions, and most often, accomodating them.

Thanks!

Melissa

Comments

• KDivad LeahcimKDivad Leahcim Posts: 3,948Member
    : Hi!
    :
    : The anonymous e-mail feature of the user's profile is great. But it would be nice to be able to reply to users anonymously, even if they list their e-mail address in their profile.
    :
    : As it stands, somebody can e-mail me, but if I need to reply, they will get my e-mail address.
    :
    : Why is this a problem? I often get e-mails that are best answered at the forum. I'd like to be able to reply to the senders and tell them that, without revealing my e-mail address.
    :
    : Thank you for a great forum, for your interest in accepting our suggestions, and most often, accomodating them.
    :
    : Thanks!
    :
    : Melissa
    :
    :

A temporary solution can be found in many email clients. Simply modify the reply-to address. Most users don't know it exists, so it would be good enough for now. Another option is to write your own email client. I've done it. Imagine my girlfriend's surprise when she recieved an email from her cat!

• melissa_may1melissa_may1 Posts: 937Member
    : : Hi!
    : :
    : : The anonymous e-mail feature of the user's profile is great. But it would be nice to be able to reply to users anonymously, even if they list their e-mail address in their profile.
    : : As it stands, somebody can e-mail me, but if I need to reply, they will get my e-mail address.
    : : Why is this a problem? I often get e-mails that are best answered at the forum. I'd like to be able to reply to the senders and tell them that, without revealing my e-mail address.
    : : Thank you for a great forum, for your interest in accepting our suggestions, and most often, accomodating them.
    : : Thanks!
    : : Melissa
    :
    : A temporary solution can be found in many email clients. Simply modify the reply-to address. Most users don't know it exists, so it would be good enough for now. Another option is to write your own email client. I've done it. Imagine my girlfriend's surprise when she recieved an email from her cat!
    :
    Sounds great. Now if you could figure out how I can e-mail my cat somewhere - she's driving me nuts.

Now, can't you view the detailed headers to find out that the e-mail wasn't really from the cat? How about if I change the reply-to address - will the headers still show my address?

I haven't messed with any of these things yet...

Thanks,

Melissa

• KDivad LeahcimKDivad Leahcim Posts: 3,948Member
    : Sounds great. Now if you could figure out how I can e-mail my cat somewhere - she's driving me nuts.
    :
    If I figure that out, I'll send you my address. Kind of taught mine to use the computer, could be interesting to see if I can do it again...

: Now, can't you view the detailed headers to find out that the e-mail wasn't really from the cat? How about if I change the reply-to address - will the headers still show my address?
    :
    If it's the reply-to trick that you use, then yes, the header still indicates who it really came from. But few people that I know know what a header [b]is[/b], much less how to read it. For those that can, though, that's why I put that it's temporary.

If it's the custom client that you use, then no, I don't believe you can view the header to see who it's really from. Who it's from is one of the lines of info that you must send.

I've been trying to track down the source to the "client" (in quotes, 'cause it's total s**t ) I wrote. If I find it, or rewrite it, I'll send you an email from it.

Off the subject: I haven't had a chance to play with that modem yet, but I intend to do so tonight or tomorrow. Have you messed with DIP switches before? There aren't that many combinations, so I could go through them one at a time. What I'm asking is if you know what will happen with a bad combination. Nothing? Pretty fireworks display? My guess is nothing, but...