Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Problem Linking GLAUX.LIB...

SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
OK, I've got a 3D engine coded and getting decent framerates on the P2/233 and I am trying to add texturing (the color-mixed objects are pretty though), but when I compile I get an error similar to "Unresolved external auxDIBImageLoadA referenced from module video.cpp". I have GLAUX.LIB in my BC5/LIB directory and being a gamer I naturally have the latest OpenGL and Glide drivers in the system directory. Now if I go in with my project and add GLAUX.LIB to it, it tells me GLAUX.LIB has a bad OFM or something. Now, if I cannot link directly to the lib, how am I supposed to get it working properly? I kind of need that function to load bitmaps as textures for the engine. Once that's done all I have to do is code in something to keep the world data relative to the player's view-point and I can finally make a decent release of the game! Thanks in advance for any help.
Oh and special thanks to iDaze for pointing me to NeonHelium's site. I heard that OpenGL was harder to code than D3D and that it had no built-in graphics-processing, but I have found it to be quite the oppsite. Not only does it look better than D3D (same for Glide), but it is MUCH easier to understand and learn. Thanks iDaze!

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]

Comments

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Hi,
    In opengl now glaux is not supposed to be used. Problem is portability and speed. I don't suppose GLAUX is supported anymore by Opengl. However with Borland I hope you have the borland version of glaux and not the VC++ version. If its the VC++ version it has to be converted to borland version. This is the only reason I can think of for getting the bad OMF error.

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    : Hi,
    : In opengl now glaux is not supposed to be used. Problem is portability and speed. I don't suppose GLAUX is supported anymore by Opengl. However with Borland I hope you have the borland version of glaux and not the VC++ version. If its the VC++ version it has to be converted to borland version. This is the only reason I can think of for getting the bad OMF error.
    :
    :
    I'm not sure which version it is. It came with my copy of Borland, but I downloaded the one that was linked to MS's site from the OpenGL site because I think it was a newer release. I'll try restoring the old one to see what happens.
    Also, if it is outdated then what function replaced auxDIBImageLoad and how do I use it? I need that function to load bitmaps as textures for my walls, ceilings, floors, doors, and anything else in the game. Right now it looks like you're walking around in rainbow town due to the lack of textures. Check the link below to see what I mean.

http://us.geocities.com/shrew_ii/programming/aoy_se-10.20.01.jpg

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Hi,
    I have never used glaux but I am sure its the same function. It would I suppose be better to write your own bitmap loading function, its not a big deal. Then use the glTexCoord.

: I'm not sure which version it is. It came with my copy of Borland, but I downloaded the one that was linked to MS's site from the OpenGL site because I think it was a newer release. I'll try restoring the old one to see what happens.
    : Also, if it is outdated then what function replaced auxDIBImageLoad and how do I use it? I need that function to load bitmaps as textures for my walls, ceilings, floors, doors, and anything else in the game. Right now it looks like you're walking around in rainbow town due to the lack of textures. Check the link below to see what I mean.
    :
    : http://us.geocities.com/shrew_ii/programming/aoy_se-10.20.01.jpg
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]
    :
    :

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    That's just it, it IS a big deal for me. I tried writing my own bitmap reading program once and got so confused I didn't know which way was up and which was down! I had been using LoadImage() to load bitmaps, but it is limited in the size of the bitmap it can load and auxDIBImageLoad was the best thing I found thus far. Is there some other function that can return a pointer to a loaded bitmap?