Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How can I shrink LINUX 7.1 installation

WinnitouWinnitou Member Posts: 29
I have just tried to install REDHAT LINUX 7.1 on an old spare Pentium PC with two HD's to try it out . But I had only a 1 Giga HD to install it on. (Not enough). So now I have installed REDHAT LINUX 7.0 instead. I have Windows 98 on the
first HD and LINUX 7.0 on the second HD.
But I'm not satisfied with LINUX 7.0 and I still want to install LINUX 7.1 on the 1 Giga HD.

My question is: what items from the installation from LINUX 7.1 can I omit so that the installation shrinks and I can install 7.1 without problems.?
I don't want to buy a new HD for this old PC.

Thanx and greetings from Winnitou

Comments

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Hi,
    First of all X can be omitted - Its not necessary.
    Secondly linux kernel source can be omitted - they take up around 80-90mb.
    Then if you don't omit X(maybe redhat has too much of X stuffs - omit window managers - 1 WM will do.

One can omit a lot of other things like apache if this machine isn't to be run as a server etc.

It all comes down to how you plan to use linux.

: I have just tried to install REDHAT LINUX 7.1 on an old spare Pentium PC with two HD's to try it out . But I had only a 1 Giga HD to install it on. (Not enough). So now I have installed REDHAT LINUX 7.0 instead. I have Windows 98 on the
    : first HD and LINUX 7.0 on the second HD.
    : But I'm not satisfied with LINUX 7.0 and I still want to install LINUX 7.1 on the 1 Giga HD.
    :
    : My question is: what items from the installation from LINUX 7.1 can I omit so that the installation shrinks and I can install 7.1 without problems.?
    : I don't want to buy a new HD for this old PC.
    :
    : Thanx and greetings from Winnitou
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :