Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Starting 3D programming

programmeurkeprogrammeurke Member Posts: 19
Hi,
I'd like starting 3D-programming. I've read a tutorial with lots of matrixes and vertexes and so on (and I've understood most of it :-) but how should I use all that? I tried a book but it didn't really work...
Help please, and I prefer not OOP (my c++ compiler can't work with graphics, my C compiler can).
Thanks,
Bruno

Comments

• CveleCvele Member Posts: 96
    : Hi,
    : I'd like starting 3D-programming. I've read a tutorial with lots of matrixes and vertexes and so on (and I've understood most of it :-) but how should I use all that? I tried a book but it didn't really work...

Same problem here. I'm just not smart enough to implement all that stuff in some code, so if anyone got some nice little pseudo code for absolute beginning (like, just a static 3d cube sitting in the screen) post it please!

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    : : Hi,
    : : I'd like starting 3D-programming. I've read a tutorial with lots of matrixes and vertexes and so on (and I've understood most of it :-) but how should I use all that? I tried a book but it didn't really work...
    :
    : Same problem here. I'm just not smart enough to implement all that stuff in some code, so if anyone got some nice little pseudo code for absolute beginning (like, just a static 3d cube sitting in the screen) post it please!
    :

You both sound like you're in a similar boat to the one I'm in. I have figured out how to make geometric shapes in a b-spline (bsp) format easily using vertices and matrices, but displaying that stuff to the screen in Windows just totally blows my mind. If either of you need help figuring out the workings of a vertex, polygon, or entire object I can easily help you, but displaying it is beyond my knowledge at the moment.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]

• Russian KettleRussian Kettle Member Posts: 1
    I think the best way to start learning 3D graphics is to install MS VC6.0 and DirectX8 SDK, because in DX SDK you can find all kinds of tutorials and examples on 3D graphics. But before this you should learn basics of vector and matrices maths.

• iDaZeiDaZe Member Posts: 464
    : I think the best way to start learning 3D graphics is to install MS VC6.0 and DirectX8 SDK, because in DX SDK you can find all kinds of tutorials and examples on 3D graphics. But before this you should learn basics of vector and matrices maths.
    :

And to get a nice discusion started already ;-),
    don't bother trying DirectX, OpenGL is much better and easier.

• iDaZeiDaZe Member Posts: 464
    oh yeah, and here's an excelent tutorial:
    http://nehe.gamedev.net

: I think the best way to start learning 3D graphics is to install MS VC6.0 and DirectX8 SDK, because in DX SDK you can find all kinds of tutorials and examples on 3D graphics. But before this you should learn basics of vector and matrices maths.
    :
    I don't do the visual series. I started programming on my Atari 400 and have always used plain text editors. It also just makes me kinda' feel less important when I am simply pasting somebody elses' code. It also helps me learn to actually type in the code rather than just look at what somebody else wrote and I pasted.
    As for the SDK, I have that, but it works with more than the visual series. Like I stated in my thread though, I have little time to my programming with the new job now.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]

: oh yeah, and here's an excelent tutorial:
    : http://nehe.gamedev.net
    :
    Woohoo! OpenGL == OWNAGE! Thanks for the link, I'll be checking it out.

• Mr. HawkMr. Hawk Member Posts: 12
    I've always been anxious to get started with DirectX (or an equivalent) language to get the feel of how the "guts" of the games work. That OpenGL tutorial i will definatley be checking out later tonight.

Are the basic principles of DX and OpenGL similar to C++ codes? Or are they two completley different things in that respect?

: I've always been anxious to get started with DirectX (or an equivalent) language to get the feel of how the "guts" of the games work. That OpenGL tutorial i will definatley be checking out later tonight.
    :
    : Are the basic principles of DX and OpenGL similar to C++ codes? Or are they two completley different things in that respect?
    :
    Well I was trying to grasp DX for a month almost and getting nowhere fast, but within an hour of looking at the OpenGL tutorials I was loading and displaying 3D meshes on my screen, as well as rotating, coloring, texturing, and shading them. OpenGL is C source, just new commands and functions to learn! It's not hard if you're halfway decent at basic Windoze programming though.

• programmeurkeprogrammeurke Member Posts: 19
    Very nice so many posts, btw thanks for the link to http://nehe.gamedev.net/ great tutors, I'm already drawing quads.