Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Linux biginner need help

AmanteAmante Member Posts: 52
Hi,

I have good knowladge in programming (C/C++) and good knowladge in Windows/Dos on theire varients.

I recived an old computer i would like to install Linux on it.
Pentium 120Mhz 64Mb, 6GB hd, 1.5Gb Hd.
I'm using RedHat 7.0

A few questions:
1. I have 1Hd of 6Gb. How do you suggest i will make the partitions. /boot, /swap /root, do i need any other partitions?
2. Do you belive the computer can support it?
3. I would like to be able to access the information from Dos/Windows - i'm planning to install windows on the 1.5Gb HD.

Anything else important before i install Linux?

Thanks In Advance, Don.

Comments

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    : A few questions:
    : 1. I have 1Hd of 6Gb. How do you suggest i will make the partitions. /boot, /swap /root, do i need any other partitions?

I would suggest something like / /boot /usr /home

: 2. Do you belive the computer can support it?

RH7... I can't say for sure but I have RH6 running well on a Pentium 166 with 48 ram. 6Gig is plenty of space

Garwain

• AmanteAmante Member Posts: 52
    Hi, First - thanks. (i fixed my spelling error on the subject)

Why do i need the /usr and /home partitions, or directories?

Shouldn't the root (/) will be enough?

Don.

: : A few questions:
    : : 1. I have 1Hd of 6Gb. How do you suggest i will make the partitions. /boot, /swap /root, do i need any other partitions?
    :
    : I would suggest something like / /boot /usr /home
    :
    : : 2. Do you belive the computer can support it?
    :
    : RH7... I can't say for sure but I have RH6 running well on a Pentium 166 with 48 ram. 6Gig is plenty of space
    :
    : Garwain
    : Moderator
    :

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    by keeping these two folders on partitions other than the root, if you re-install linux you have an easier time retaining all programs that you have installed (usually code and compiled files are stored in the /usr folder. also all files created by each user will be stored in their home directories /home/

I have found with the way that I keep trying different versions it's handy to have these directories as partitions.

: Hi, First - thanks. (i fixed my spelling error on the subject)
    :
    : Why do i need the /usr and /home partitions, or directories?
    :
    : Shouldn't the root (/) will be enough?
    :
    : Don.
    :
    :
    : : : A few questions:
    : : : 1. I have 1Hd of 6Gb. How do you suggest i will make the partitions. /boot, /swap /root, do i need any other partitions?
    : :
    : : I would suggest something like / /boot /usr /home
    : : : 2. Do you belive the computer can support it?
    : : RH7... I can't say for sure but I have RH6 running well on a Pentium 166 with 48 ram. 6Gig is plenty of space
    : : Garwain
    : : Moderator
    :
    :