Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Which is the suitable database for...?

sweetgirlsweetgirl Member Posts: 29
Could anyone provide me some information or advice on which database to use as I am working on a 3D virtual fitting room program. The program would be involving many 3D images. My considerations would be either Oracle or SQL Server 7.0

A brief description of the program would be an offline program that accepts user's body measurement. The program would then generate a 3D human model based on the user's body measurement. Then, user can select a piece of clothing to be worn on to the 3D model.

10x for anyone who can help...!

-sweetgirl-

Comments

• gigsvoogigsvoo Member Posts: 328
    Both types of server also can provide such storage purposes. In the sense of deciding the selection, you should consider the following:

1. Price - Generally MS SQL is cheaper thatn Oracle since it does not require yearly subscription fees.
    2. Performance - Oracle will take better challenge compare to MS SQL server for its stability, but that would not compare with different version like MS SQL 2000 with Oracle 8i.
    3. Storage - SQL and Oracle has a different storage format, and also consider the backup feasibility as well.
    4. Hardware requirement - Generally MS products would require higher hardware requirements in terms of processor, memory and storage devices.
    5. User-friendly - MS SQL sure have a user-friendly interface for database administrator rather than Oracle.
    6. Support - Both software has good software support.
    7. Future enhancement - If u r looking for a long-term investment, look into MS SQL instead, they had rapid development compare to Oracle.
    8. Development - If ur application is more to MS products like Visual Basic or ASP, then consider MS SQL, they had a better interface components such as ADO and ADO+

The last but not the least, selecting types of database also depends on our current environment such as your company needs, also think of previous database software u had, if there is/are...

Hope this would give a hint.

: Could anyone provide me some information or advice on which database to use as I am working on a 3D virtual fitting room program. The program would be involving many 3D images. My considerations would be either Oracle or SQL Server 7.0
    :
    : A brief description of the program would be an offline program that accepts user's body measurement. The program would then generate a 3D human model based on the user's body measurement. Then, user can select a piece of clothing to be worn on to the 3D model.
    :
    : 10x for anyone who can help...!
    : -sweetgirl-
    :

Neo Gigs
    http://communities.msn.com.my/VisualBasicwithNeo

• sweetgirlsweetgirl Member Posts: 29
    10x for the advice!

I'd like to know whether there are any other issues on the database (Oracle & SQL Server) related to the use 3D files for 3D programs that I would need to consider.

Also, has anyone come across any websites where I can download 3D clothing images as I need them for my virtual fitting room program. If so, please feel free to share them with me. I'd really appreciate that...10x a lot!
    -sweetgirl-

No problm, you may post ur questions on 3D images in another forum group, do you want me to help you move over?

: 10x for the advice!
    :
    : I'd like to know whether there are any other issues on the database (Oracle & SQL Server) related to the use 3D files for 3D programs that I would need to consider.
    :
    : Also, has anyone come across any websites where I can download 3D clothing images as I need them for my virtual fitting room program. If so, please feel free to share them with me. I'd really appreciate that...10x a lot!
    :
    :

Neo Gigs

that'd would be so nice of you...
    10x in advance!
    -sweetgirl-

I'm still not assured which database to use for the purpose of developing a 3D program involving 3D files. I don't see any distinct reasons of which database (Oracle or MS SQL Server) that suits me most.

Would it be more encouraging to use MS SQL Server if I am programming in MS Visual C++? If so, why?

-sweetgirl-

They are from the same family...thats the simplest answer...haha..

Coz VC++ handle ADO nice to MSSQL

: I'm still not assured which database to use for the purpose of developing a 3D program involving 3D files. I don't see any distinct reasons of which database (Oracle or MS SQL Server) that suits me most.
    :
    : Would it be more encouraging to use MS SQL Server if I am programming in MS Visual C++? If so, why?
    :
    :
    :
    :

Neo Gigs

Yeah, that's right.

Sorry for being so long-winded...but I'd like to know whether there are any distinct reasons of which database (Oracle or MS SQL Server) that suits more in developing a 3D program involving 3D files.

-sweetgirl-

You see your 'data' is not real data but images, you can identify them by naming them uniquely, use the database to store the url n filename, to retrieve that into the program itself.

MS SQL does a better job on that...
    using Oracle is a big investment to do this job

: Yeah, that's right.
    :
    : Sorry for being so long-winded...but I'd like to know whether there are any distinct reasons of which database (Oracle or MS SQL Server) that suits more in developing a 3D program involving 3D files.
    :
    :
    :
    :

Neo Gigs

Have u any idea or any sample codes on...
    - how to store paths of images into the database
    - connecting to MS SQL Server using Visual C++
    - ways to access the files in the database through the program coded in C++
    ?? websites with those info...

10x to anyone who can help...

-sweetgirl-

Goto www.visualbuilder.com for VC++ on db connection.

To get the image, let say for table1, row 1, the data for the first field is "c:abc.jpg" then you program should goto the C:abc.jpg to load the picture file.

: Have u any idea or any sample codes on...
    : - how to store paths of images into the database
    : - connecting to MS SQL Server using Visual C++
    : - ways to access the files in the database through the program coded in C++
    : ?? websites with those info...
    :
    : 10x to anyone who can help...
    :
    :
    :
    :

Neo Gigs