NEED HELP WITH BIOS DRIVER UPDATE - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

NEED HELP WITH BIOS DRIVER UPDATE

Can someone please tell me how to update my bios? I've downloaded a .bin file and now I don't know what to do with it.
Thanks!

Henrik

Comments

• retrogeekretrogeek Posts: 93Member
    : Can someone please tell me how to update my bios? I've downloaded a .bin file and now I don't know what to do with it.
    : Thanks!
    :
    : Henrik
    :

Hi Henrik --

Here are some hints based on my experience:

If your current bios seems to be working ok, don't update it. You won't notice any difference if you do and updating the bios is risky. You should only update if you have a problem such as Y2K issues, the machine won't recognize a hard disk larger than 8.4 gig, etc.

But if you do need to update, look on the same site where you downloaded your .bin file for an update utility. There should also be some kind of help section with explicit instructions for performing the update. If you can't find these, use www.google.com to search for them using keywords that will locate your particular bios files: "bios update", award, ami, the manufacturer of your motherboard, etc. Do not try to update until you understand exactly how to do it. Once the utility program starts, it must continue to the end without interuption or you will end up with a dead machine. (I put my machine on a UPS before starting.)

Perhaps(?) a safer way to update is called "hot swapping". In this case, you start your machine, then remove the bios eeprom with the power still on, then insert a new eeprom (or a used one from a dead machine) and do the update. This way, if anything goes wrong, or you want to return your machine to its original state, you still have your original unscathed bios eeprom to put back into your machine.

Admittedly, I havn't tried hot swapping as the idea of pulling/replacing chips in a live machine also sounds risky to me.

good luck.

rg

• alumaxalumax Posts: 2Member
    Just wanted to say thanks! But I've got another question

The bios is working just fine but I was told to update it cause I wanted the graphics card to be faster. I guy told me that updating the bios (or did he say motherboard? hum..) might help. So you thnk it won't be any faster if I update it?
    Thanks again!

Henrik

• retrogeekretrogeek Posts: 93Member
    : Just wanted to say thanks! But I've got another question
    :
    : The bios is working just fine but I was told to update it cause I wanted the graphics card to be faster. I guy told me that updating the bios (or did he say motherboard? hum..) might help. So you thnk it won't be any faster if I update it?
    : Thanks again!
    :
    : Henrik
    :
    :

No, and yes!

The advanced graphics part of the bios is located in a bios "extension" that lives on the graphics card itself. Updating the main system bios won't change your graphics speed. In theory, updating the bios on your graphics card might, but the chips on most video cards are not re-programable nor can they be easily replaced.

Your best bet is to simply install a better graphics card so you have better/faster graphics hardware AND the better/faster firmware to drive it.

good luck!

rg