Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Plz reselect CPU speed ????

whenever i start my P3 500mhz , after the mem check i get this error:Please reselect the cpu speed ... press any key to continue,
and when i press any key it straightway goes to bios settings
and the only way out is by selecting EXIT WITHOUT SAVING (YES)

i m 100% sure all my bios settings r correct and this problem has started only recently(1 yr old pc).i have not installed any new devices.

Comments

• melissa_may1melissa_may1 Posts: 937Member
    : whenever i start my P3 500mhz , after the mem check i get this error:Please reselect the cpu speed ... press any key to continue,
    : and when i press any key it straightway goes to bios settings
    : and the only way out is by selecting EXIT WITHOUT SAVING (YES)
    :
    : i m 100% sure all my bios settings r correct and this problem has started only recently(1 yr old pc).i have not installed any new devices.
    :

Hi!

Well, something must have changed, though it sounds like you didn't do the changing!

What BIOS manufacturer/version do you have?

Sometimes the BIOS settings, which are stored in CMOS memory, get scrambled, with various symptoms. This is sometimes caused by a dead CMOS battery. Did you have to reset the date/time recently? The clock is also run by the same battery, so that's an indication that the battery was low. Many are rechargeable types, which only recharge when the computer is on. In the last few years, many motherboards come with a "button-cell" for the CMOS. In any case, if you need to set the date/time, then I'd suspect the battery needs replacing.

Now if that's not the problem, it may be just that the settings got scrambled. The obvious place to look is the CPU speed and multiplier settings. Ty setting them again - even if they look correct. Sometimes just re-writing the CMOS fixes it.

There are some CMOS save utilities around, and it would be a good idea for you to search one out. They let you save the settings to a file, then load the settings back from the file at a later date. This would be handy if you need to change a bunch of settings, and want to be able to reset them to the current state if necessary.

Once you've saved the settings (or written tham all down - very tedious), try selecting the "default settings" choice in the BIOS menu. That will reset everything to a (supposedly) workable state.

If that fixes the problem, then you can go through the settings one-by-one to see which one(s) are different from what you had. That might lead you to what went wrong.

:this problem has started only recently(1 yr old pc)

This reminds me of a joke I tell my clients - "It was working fine ---- just before it broke!"

Re-post if this doesn't help.

Good Luck!

Melissa

• rahulkotharirahulkothari Posts: 65Member

Hi! mel...

What BIOS manufacturer/version do you have?

ANS: AMI (american megaatrends) 810 chipset

motherboards come with a "button-cell" for the CMOS ,

ANS: yeh , right , i did change the battery , but the problem persisted even before the change .

The obvious place Ty setting them agto look is the CPU speed and multiplier settings.Ty setting them again - even if they look correct. Sometimes just re-writing the CMOS fixes it.

ANS: i even tried that , i have a p3 500 and i changed the settings to 500 again as u said "Ty setting them again - even if they look correct "

There are some CMOS save utilities around, and it would be a good idea for you to search one out. They let you save the settings to a file, then load the settings back from the file at a later date. This would be handy if you need to change a bunch of settings, and want to be able to reset them to the current state if necessary.

ANS: not yet done , thanks for informing me about such a utility.

Once you've saved the settings (or written tham all down - very tedious), try selecting the "default settings" choice in the BIOS menu. That will reset everything to a (supposedly) workable state.

ANS:i tried that before posting this message , but unfortunately it didnt work :-(

: Re-post if this doesn't help.

ANS: thanx for advising but none of the tricks worked and hence m REPOSTING it .

: Rahul

P.S. u can write comp jargon as i myself m a comp engg student .
    do not write too hi-fi jargons as i m only a student and not a STUD(scholar) like u .

• melissa_may1melissa_may1 Posts: 937Member
    Hi!

AMI usually has a choice for "optimal settings" somewhere towards the end of the menu on the right side, around the choice for "default settings". I'm sure you tried that, if there is one, since it seems you tried everything else!

This one has me stumped. I don't recall ever seing this error - my earlier suggestions were based on what has worked in other situations.

I'm sort of fishing here...did you check the cpu multiplier as well as the speed? How about other related settings such as bus speed?

Do you have access to another machine with the same CPU? I was thinking of swapping your CPU into the other machine to see if the problem follows the CPU.

This is very interesting. I'll see if I can come up with any other ideas. In the meantime, if you figure this out, please let us know.

Thanks,

Melissa

• rahulkotharirahulkothari Posts: 65Member
    This is exactly (alomost) how my first screen looks :

[code]
    [red] / [/red] American Released: 03/03/00
    [red] /__[/red] Megatrends AMIBIOS (c)1999 American Megatrends Inc ,

T810B-S ver 1.06 (000304)

Pentium 3 - 500 MHz

Checking NVRAM...

[red]Please re-select the cpu speed[/red]

Press any key to continue

262144kb OK

Press key to run setup [/code]

also, one of my friends told me to change multiplier settings but i could not find any such settings in the bios .

the cpu settings were:( r these called multiplier settings )
    cpu type :pentium 3
    cpu speed :500 mhz
    system speed over-clocking :100.2 mhz

and my motherboard speed is 100 mhz ... i suppose ... how to check it whether its 100 or 133?