Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

What exactly is C#????

GreatBugGreatBug Posts: 15Member
I heard much from this C#, but actually I still don't know what it is....

Comments

• gameman1agameman1a Posts: 119Member
    : I heard much from this C#, but actually I still don't know what it is....
    :

C# is a C like language developed by microsoft. It's a pure object oriented language. It's tied to the .NET platform, and C# is supposed to be better than C++, but I never really try it.

Here's a code :

[CODE]
    using System;

class Hello
    {
    static void Main(){
    {
    Console.WriteLine("Hello!!!");
    }
    }
    [/CODE]
    Gamemania

Planet of Wonders ( http://tech-war.virtualave.net/ )

• gameman1agameman1a Posts: 119Member
    Tried the language, and I'm simply amazed with it's power and ease of use (compared to C/C++)... If you're a C/C++ programmer, I really suggest you try the language and decide for yourself!

: : I heard much from this C#, but actually I still don't know what it is....
    : :
    :
    : C# is a C like language developed by microsoft. It's a pure object oriented language. It's tied to the .NET platform, and C# is supposed to be better than C++, but I never really try it.
    :
    : Here's a code :
    :
    : [CODE]
    : using System;
    :
    : class Hello
    : {
    : static void Main(){
    : {
    : Console.WriteLine("Hello!!!");
    : }
    : }
    : [/CODE]
    : Gamemania
    :
    : Planet of Wonders ( http://tech-war.virtualave.net/ )
    :
    :

Gamemania

Planet of Wonders ( http://tech-war.virtualave.net/ )

• rukidingmerukidingme Posts: 2Member
    C# (c-sharp) is a the new "C" like language put out by Microsoft. It actually has a lot of similarities with Java too, and although it does not have the cross-platform support that Java has (yet), it can be more powerful.

C# was created as part of the .Net framework which is really were the beauty of the new language comes in. The .Net framework gives developers a true object-oriented language to develop windows AND web based applications. One of the great things about .Net is that all code is managed and compiiled down to the CLR (common language runtime) and therefore you can write code in C#, VB.NET, or C++.Net and your classes,functions,subs,etc. will be able to "consume" each other.

All languages within then .Net framework share the same class libraries which makes working in a RAD environment so much easier. A C# programmer and a VB.NET programmer need not worry about their code being able to interact with each other. Microsoft is allowing for other languages to be broght in the .Net framework. You'll soon find Perl.Net, Fortan.Net, cobol, delphi, etc. all apart of this new framework (I woudn't expect to find Java.Net any time soon though :-)

Because C# is a new language, it's clean, straightforward, and easy to learn. But again, you get the most out of C# when used with all other components of the .Net framework.

NOTE: I'm not a MS advocate, I lust really like this new development environment :-)

• mattWmattW Posts: 3Member
    So if a person was moving from working primarliy in Unix to doing Windows/Web development would it make more sense to learn C# then C++ ??

- mjw

: C# (c-sharp) is a the new "C" like language put out by Microsoft. It actually has a lot of similarities with Java too, and although it does not have the cross-platform support that Java has (yet), it can be more powerful.
    :
    : C# was created as part of the .Net framework which is really were the beauty of the new language comes in. The .Net framework gives developers a true object-oriented language to develop windows AND web based applications. One of the great things about .Net is that all code is managed and compiiled down to the CLR (common language runtime) and therefore you can write code in C#, VB.NET, or C++.Net and your classes,functions,subs,etc. will be able to "consume" each other.
    :
    : All languages within then .Net framework share the same class libraries which makes working in a RAD environment so much easier. A C# programmer and a VB.NET programmer need not worry about their code being able to interact with each other. Microsoft is allowing for other languages to be broght in the .Net framework. You'll soon find Perl.Net, Fortan.Net, cobol, delphi, etc. all apart of this new framework (I woudn't expect to find Java.Net any time soon though :-)
    :
    : Because C# is a new language, it's clean, straightforward, and easy to learn. But again, you get the most out of C# when used with all other components of the .Net framework.
    :
    : NOTE: I'm not a MS advocate, I lust really like this new development environment :-)
    :
    :

• incinincin Posts: 2Member
    :....You'll soon find Perl.Net, Fortan.Net, cobol, delphi, etc. all apart of this new framework (I woudn't expect to find Java.Net any time soon though :-)
    :

actually, i bought visual studio .NET academic. It comes with

C++.net, VB.NET, and C#.net.

Inside is a card saying i'm intitled to a free copy of Visual J#.NET.
    Sorta surprizing microsoft would do that if they dont have to. Unfortunately, i have to wait for my new computer to install it, i'm running 98.

anyway, thats probably as close to java .net will get under microsoft