Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

3D Game Engine

Lyme3Lyme3 Member Posts: 57
Hey everyone! Well, I'm working on a game with a couple other people (me sort of as a tag-along, more of a learning experiance for me). But, my question is, if I were to make a game, and use a pre-made engine would that mean I wouldn't have to code anything? I want to code, I am in the process of learning DirectX(3D) and enjoying it. But, if someone could just explain the general usage of a pre-made engine it would be very helpful! Thank you!!

-Matt

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    : Hey everyone! Well, I'm working on a game with a couple other people (me sort of as a tag-along, more of a learning experiance for me). But, my question is, if I were to make a game, and use a pre-made engine would that mean I wouldn't have to code anything? I want to code, I am in the process of learning DirectX(3D) and enjoying it. But, if someone could just explain the general usage of a pre-made engine it would be very helpful! Thank you!!
    :
    : -Matt
    :
    Well using a pre-made engine has it's upsides and downsides, Matt. For starters, if you are new to 3D programming, it can be a big help (assuming you know a decent amount of the language it is coded in), like any of the Visual series for a new programmer. However, if you are well versed in 3D programming or if you wish to do more than stretch a pre-built engine to it's limits, you'll want to write your own like I am now doing, just like the experienced programmer who would prefer a basic IDE/Debuuger/Compiler as opposed to one that pastes code, tries formatting your source, and other such stuff that the Visual series do (I know I LOATHE Visual anything for those facts, lol).
    Another thing that may or may not be of concern to you is that DirectX/D3D are much harder to learn than OpenGL. I studied D3D/DX for the past few months (look at my posts on the Windows board) and got NOWHERE. I read iDaze's post today about an OpenGL site which I will post below and in about 4hrs time I have learned how to use basic OpenGL. I ported my game engine over and with minor changes I am up and running with NO errors! My only problem is a function not wanting to work properly for some reason, but that's just for texturing. I suggest looking at the OpenGL site below and glancing over the tutorials before stressing out over D3D.

http://nehe.gamedev.net/

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]

• Lyme3Lyme3 Member Posts: 57
    Well, thank you for the help! We/I have decided on using The Nebula device by RadonLabs (www.radonlabs.de) it uses c++ and directx/3d. I'm only a begginer d3d programmer at best, it is rather difficult compared to OpenGL (which I put less than half the time into, and probably learned more) - do you suggest one over the other utility wise? Also, if you don't like visual anything, what IDE do you use? I am currently using Visual C++ 5.0, but I don't do any code cutting and pasting =) What do you use for your windows programming?

: : Hey everyone! Well, I'm working on a game with a couple other people (me sort of as a tag-along, more of a learning experiance for me). But, my question is, if I were to make a game, and use a pre-made engine would that mean I wouldn't have to code anything? I want to code, I am in the process of learning DirectX(3D) and enjoying it. But, if someone could just explain the general usage of a pre-made engine it would be very helpful! Thank you!!
    : :
    : : -Matt
    : :
    : Well using a pre-made engine has it's upsides and downsides, Matt. For starters, if you are new to 3D programming, it can be a big help (assuming you know a decent amount of the language it is coded in), like any of the Visual series for a new programmer. However, if you are well versed in 3D programming or if you wish to do more than stretch a pre-built engine to it's limits, you'll want to write your own like I am now doing, just like the experienced programmer who would prefer a basic IDE/Debuuger/Compiler as opposed to one that pastes code, tries formatting your source, and other such stuff that the Visual series do (I know I LOATHE Visual anything for those facts, lol).
    : Another thing that may or may not be of concern to you is that DirectX/D3D are much harder to learn than OpenGL. I studied D3D/DX for the past few months (look at my posts on the Windows board) and got NOWHERE. I read iDaze's post today about an OpenGL site which I will post below and in about 4hrs time I have learned how to use basic OpenGL. I ported my game engine over and with minor changes I am up and running with NO errors! My only problem is a function not wanting to work properly for some reason, but that's just for texturing. I suggest looking at the OpenGL site below and glancing over the tutorials before stressing out over D3D.
    :
    : http://nehe.gamedev.net/
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]
    :
    :

: Well, thank you for the help! We/I have decided on using The Nebula device by RadonLabs (www.radonlabs.de) it uses c++ and directx/3d. I'm only a begginer d3d programmer at best, it is rather difficult compared to OpenGL (which I put less than half the time into, and probably learned more) - do you suggest one over the other utility wise? Also, if you don't like visual anything, what IDE do you use? I am currently using Visual C++ 5.0, but I don't do any code cutting and pasting =) What do you use for your windows programming?

I use Borland C/C++ with the full IDE. Although for my small projects that don't require special linking to resource files and only consist of a few c/cpp files and a few headers, I use the command-line in a DOS-box :P. I think you can download the Borland compiler for free, but you have to buy it if you want the IDE, debugger, resource editor, etc etc.
    If you'd like to check out how far along my game is, I have a single screenshot posted on one of my sites. It has no texturing yet so each vertex has it's own color (r/g/b) and it blends to look like "rainbow-town". The engine DOES work though and is fully OpenGL. Guess I'll have to learn D3D before I try releasing it since not all cards support OpenGL. My next big task is to get the swords, bows, maces, etc displaying properly as the character holds and wields them. I'll post some more screens then, which should be textured as well!

http://us.geocities.com/shrew_ii/programming/aoy_se-10.20.01.jpg

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]

• iDaZeiDaZe Member Posts: 464
    This page is not available.
    We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
    If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance.

For general questions see our main help area, or search for other member pages.

:-( to bad, the swords and maces part made me curious :-)

: This page is not available.
    : We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
    : If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance.
    :
    : For general questions see our main help area, or search for other member pages.
    :
    : :-( to bad, the swords and maces part made me curious :-)
    :

Lol, sorry iDaze! This screenshot just shows untextured (but fully colored) walls, floors, and ceilings. Geosh*ties changed it back to the original format again without emailing it's users to tell them. The PROPER link is below!

http://www.geocities.com/shrew_ii/programming/aoy_se-10.20.01.jpg