Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Telnet to a Linux account from Windows

GiantGiant Posts: 225Member
Not sure is I am in the right place but I have a problem and here it is. I am trying to telnet into a Linux account from Windows, but the network I am on, has a firewall so I cant connect. Is there any way around this?

Thanks
Giant

Comments

• Null and VoidNull and Void Posts: 1,202Member
    I'm not sure exactly how the firewall is setup to block, but you can try using another port (like the HTTP port, 80) or ask them to unblock the telnet port. It probably won't work, but worth a try.

• abcabc Posts: 443Member
    : Not sure is I am in the right place but I have a problem and here it is. I am trying to telnet into a Linux account from Windows, but the network I am on, has a firewall so I cant connect. Is there any way around this?
    :
    : Thanks
    : Giant
    :

The firewall may be set up to reject telnet connections for security reasons. Try using some secure shell (there are free ssh implementations on the web).

abc

• gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    Hi,

Most linux distribution now come with the telnet port closed for with or without the firewall for security reasons. However they open up SSH port - so as abc said use ssh or if you have access to the linux box - enable telnet in the inetd.conf or xinetd.conf so you can telnet into the box.

: Not sure is I am in the right place but I have a problem and here it is. I am trying to telnet into a Linux account from Windows, but the network I am on, has a firewall so I cant connect. Is there any way around this?
    :
    : Thanks
    : Giant
    :