Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

2d graphics

I am looking for a GUIDE or tutorial on programming 2D graphics. I need to know how sprites, animations and backdrops work. I would also like to know how scrolling backdrops work.

I dont understand how you update the screen-do you have to redraw the background and sprites to the videomemory 20 times a second? That seems very inefficient.

I programmed a game with vector graphics once, but i think programming with sprites uses other techniques. I program in C/C++ in DOS btw, does anyone know any good graphic LIBRARIES for dealing with sprites?

Comments

• I've done a 2D engine for a game I'm working on,

Unknown Kingdoms, which the animation demo for is

at: http://acheronx.ml.org/ukpub/

The library I used for it was a Modex 320x240x256c

assembly library customized for sprites (clipping,

transparency). The library and the game are done in

TP, but the lib would be easy to port to C. I gave

the code to one programmer (I think it was MLINK...)

but never heard back from him. If you want the code

I'd be glad to share it with you.

URL:http://acheronx.ml.org/home/

• : I programmed a game with vector graphics once, but i think programming with sprites uses other techniques. I program in C/C++ in DOS btw, does anyone know any good graphic LIBRARIES for dealing with sprites?

Perhaps Allegro could be an idea? It works with DJGPP which is a compiler of choise for many game programmers. I think Quake was compiled using DJGPP.

• Thanx Staffan,

I use allegro now, and all my problems are history. I see now that this library is essential for everyone interested in game-programming for dos. (no this is not advertisement this really IS good: the library even includes 35 example programs in which they explain every feature/function you can think of.)

• Where can i get that lib called allegro???

Please mail me, desertfox@rebels.org