Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

routerANDservices

minionminion Posts: 36Member
I have 2 questions :)

I have a freebsd computer set up. I disabled lots of services in the inetd.conf file. That turned off almost all the services i did want. But ssh, smtp, and sunrpc are still on. There is also submission, kdm, and x11, but im not sure what those are for, and if i can turn them off. Well, i was wondering how i could turn off the services that are not in inetd.conf.

My second question is this. I have a router set up. It has 3 computers hooked up to it, all getting the internet, 1 freebsd and two win 98s. Because of this, lots of the services i want to work with my bsd computer dont work. For instance, ssh. I cannot connect to the bsd computer through a remote computer. I tried telnet and it also does not work. Im pretty sure it is cause of the router. Does anyone know how I can fix this? It really angers me and i would love to fix it.

Comments

• Null and VoidNull and Void Posts: 1,202Member
    I don't know much about routers (I just use a cisco router *shrug*), but I know what kdm and x11 are. X11 is XFree86, the graphics portion of most Unixes. KDM is a graphical login manager and window manager selection program. You can disable them if you don't need graphics.