Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Modem troubles.

I have an older modem and I am trying to see if it works. I found drivers without any trouble, but need to know if someone has or can point me to some info on it. Specifically, I need the dip-switch settings. The chip is rcvdl56acf/sp r6761-21. The modem is an ISA, but I can't find or don't recognize a brand name for the board, just various parts of it. If I remember correctly, it's a Hayes 56K Flex, but I'm not sure about that and can't find much Hayes info. I'm looking into it, but thought someone here might recognize it...

Thanks,
KDL

Comments

• melissa_may1melissa_may1 Posts: 937Member
    : I have an older modem and I am trying to see if it works. I found drivers without any trouble, but need to know if someone has or can point me to some info on it. Specifically, I need the dip-switch settings. The chip is rcvdl56acf/sp r6761-21. The modem is an ISA, but I can't find or don't recognize a brand name for the board, just various parts of it. If I remember correctly, it's a Hayes 56K Flex, but I'm not sure about that and can't find much Hayes info. I'm looking into it, but thought someone here might recognize it...
    :
    : Thanks,
    : KDL
    :
    Hi KDL!

The chip that you list is manufactured by Rockwell. The following Aopen MODEMS use that chip:

Aopen Model F56, MP56 (should be PnP cards), and the FM56PVS-DL (not PnP).

Check the following manuals to see if they resemble your MODEM:

For F56 Manual:
    http://www.aopenusa.com/scripts/ftplist.asp?pub/manual/multimedia/f56.exe

MP56:
    The MP56 is listed as a "combo card". I couldn't find a manual for it.

For FM56PVS-DL Manual:
    http://www.aopenusa.com/scripts/ftplist.asp?pub/manual/multimedia/isa-mm.hlp

If you determine that your MODEM is an Aopen, then you can get the drivers here:

http://www.aopenusa.com/tech/download/modem/default.htm

By the way, Rockwell makes the chip, but they do not manufacture MODEMS. Apparently they deliver the driver and source code to the OEM, who's then responsible for modifying the driver as necessary. In theory, the driver should work as shipped to the OEM, since there's not much different they can do in the hardware. So any of the above drivers might work.

Now, since it's you...

Hope this helps :)

Melissa

You might also try the ATI commands, which often list the manufacturer and/or model number. Try ATI3 and ATI4.

If either does list the manufacturer (not Rockwell, but the MODEM manufacturer), then you may be able to get more info.

Melissa

• KDivad LeahcimKDivad Leahcim Posts: 3,948Member
    : : I have an older modem and I am trying to see if it works. I found drivers without any trouble, but need to know if someone has or can point me to some info on it. Specifically, I need the dip-switch settings. The chip is rcvdl56acf/sp r6761-21. The modem is an ISA, but I can't find or don't recognize a brand name for the board, just various parts of it. If I remember correctly, it's a Hayes 56K Flex, but I'm not sure about that and can't find much Hayes info. I'm looking into it, but thought someone here might recognize it...
    : :
    : : Thanks,
    : : KDL
    : :
    : Hi KDL!
    :
    : The chip that you list is manufactured by Rockwell. The following Aopen MODEMS use that chip:
    :
    : Aopen Model F56, MP56 (should be PnP cards), and the FM56PVS-DL (not PnP).
    :
    : Check the following manuals to see if they resemble your MODEM:
    :
    : For F56 Manual:
    : http://www.aopenusa.com/scripts/ftplist.asp?pub/manual/multimedia/f56.exe
    :
    : MP56:
    : The MP56 is listed as a "combo card". I couldn't find a manual for it.
    :
    : For FM56PVS-DL Manual:
    : http://www.aopenusa.com/scripts/ftplist.asp?pub/manual/multimedia/isa-mm.hlp
    :
    : If you determine that your MODEM is an Aopen, then you can get the drivers here:
    :
    : http://www.aopenusa.com/tech/download/modem/default.htm
    :
    : By the way, Rockwell makes the chip, but they do not manufacture MODEMS. Apparently they deliver the driver and source code to the OEM, who's then responsible for modifying the driver as necessary. In theory, the driver should work as shipped to the OEM, since there's not much different they can do in the hardware. So any of the above drivers might work.
    :
    :
    : Now, since it's you...
    :
    : Hope this helps :)
    :
    : Melissa
    :

Those modems are very close, but don't contain dip-switches. I don't think I've ever owned an Aopen modem (never even hear of them), so I'm pretty sure it isn't one. I did catch the rockwell name, but I also have dyad, atech, winbond, takamisawa, etc. I realize that none of those are the manufacturer. I think it might be a generic modem, so finding info on it will be a PITA.

Thanks,
    KDL

Well, there's one last hope. The MODEM should have an FCC registration number on it. It happens that the FCC has a registration database that you can access from their website.

I've had mixed results with this technicque, though. Often the registration number comes back to a different company, or the number doesn't even belong to the type of product on which it is found.

But, it's worth a try, I guess.

By the way, what's a PITA (besides a flat bread, that is)?

Seeya,

Melissa

: Well, there's one last hope. The MODEM should have an FCC registration number on it. It happens that the FCC has a registration database that you can access from their website.
    :
    : I've had mixed results with this technicque, though. Often the registration number comes back to a different company, or the number doesn't even belong to the type of product on which it is found.
    :
    : But, it's worth a try, I guess.
    :
    : By the way, what's a PITA (besides a flat bread, that is)?
    :
    : Seeya,
    :
    :

www.fcc.com? Or something else? I've never used the site before, but it's worth a shot. Will have my fingers crossed as it's a great modem! (The only 56K onboard-controller one I have.) I have both FCC ID and FCC Reg number, do you know which one I should use? I ask because I only have time to look over this board for now...

PITA = Pain In The A**

The FCC has an FCC ID search at:
    http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

You can enter the first three characters of the ID to get the manufacturer's name.

If this doesn't work, let me know. I have another idea.

Melissa

: The FCC has an FCC ID search at:
    : http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/
    :
    : You can enter the first three characters of the ID to get the manufacturer's name.
    :
    : If this doesn't work, let me know. I have another idea.
    :
    :
    :

It reports that CIS Technology, Inc made my modem. I've tracked down their site and found drivers and firmware (and even manuals) for it. However, I have yet to find anything that mentions the dip-switches. The driver-setup claims to do the same thing the dip-switches do, so it might work...

I'm willing to look at another idea before I start this.

Hi KDL!

Strange that the manuals don't have DIP switch settings.

Usually the switches set the Com port, Interrupt, and sometimes PnP enable/disable. If you're trying to set the Com port and Interrupt, here's a work-around.

This procedure assumes that your Power-On Self Test (POST) displays the comm ports and interrupts used, and that you can disable the on-board comm ports through BIOS setup.

1) Remove the MODEM board, if it's installed.
    2) Turn on the computer, and note which Com ports and Interrupts the POST lists.
    3) Go into BIOS setup, and disable the Comm ports.
    4) Turn on the computer, and note which Comm ports and Interrupts the POST lists. There should be no Comm ports listed now, and the interrupts associated with them should also be off the list.
    5) Re-install the MODEM
    6) Turn on the computer, and note which Com ports and Interrupts the POST lists. There should be one Comm port listed now, and this will be for the MODEM. There should also be another interrupt listed now, for the MODEM. Write down these settings for step 7.
    7) Go into BIOS setup, and enable the Comm ports. Make sure none conflict with the MODEM settings obtained in step 6.
    8) Install the MODEM drivers
    9) The MODEM should now work.

If so, then celebrate. If not, then I had nothing to do with it :)

Melissa

: Hi KDL!
    :
    : Strange that the manuals don't have DIP switch settings.
    :
    : Usually the switches set the Com port, Interrupt, and sometimes PnP enable/disable. If you're trying to set the Com port and Interrupt, here's a work-around.
    :
    : This procedure assumes that your Power-On Self Test (POST) displays the comm ports and interrupts used, and that you can disable the on-board comm ports through BIOS setup.
    :
    :
    : 1) Remove the MODEM board, if it's installed.
    : 2) Turn on the computer, and note which Com ports and Interrupts the POST lists.
    : 3) Go into BIOS setup, and disable the Comm ports.
    : 4) Turn on the computer, and note which Comm ports and Interrupts the POST lists. There should be no Comm ports listed now, and the interrupts associated with them should also be off the list.
    : 5) Re-install the MODEM
    : 6) Turn on the computer, and note which Com ports and Interrupts the POST lists. There should be one Comm port listed now, and this will be for the MODEM. There should also be another interrupt listed now, for the MODEM. Write down these settings for step 7.
    : 7) Go into BIOS setup, and enable the Comm ports. Make sure none conflict with the MODEM settings obtained in step 6.
    : 8) Install the MODEM drivers
    : 9) The MODEM should now work.
    :
    : If so, then celebrate. If not, then I had nothing to do with it :)
    :

That is what the switches set. I remember that much. I will give this a shot and see what happens. I'm not holding out much hope because I recall that Windows (and maybe the computer?) don't see the modem at all if the switches are set improperly. I don't know if that system (that I want to put the modem in) displays that info or not, but we shall see.

I'll keep you posted,
    KDL

Just thought I'd reply here...

You must have been reading my mind! I was going to post and ask if you ever got it going.

The problem with the DIP switches is that they usually control Com port and Interrrupt. So if you systematically (or randomly) switch them around, you'l usually just dance around and still not get it going.

Of course, if you're as good at hardware hacking a you are with software, you could trace the switched back to the modem chip inputs, and map out what they do...