Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Basic Professional Development System v7.0

melissa_may1melissa_may1 Member Posts: 937
Hi all!

Does anyone remember a product from Microsoft called Basic Professional Development System (PDS) v7.0? The PDS was, if I recall, an editor/compiler/linker for DOS.

Have you ever used it?

Do you have a copy of it?

I was just going through some old manuals and such and found my SQL Programmer's Developer's Toolkit for BASIC. It includes routines for Visual BASIC v 1.0, and the PDS.

I don't remember anyone actually developing SQL applications in BASIC for DOS, but someone must have, because I have the toolkit!

Just curious if anyone here ever used the PDS.

Melissa

Comments

• alan_pollockalan_pollock Member Posts: 110
    Hi Melissa,

Yes, I remember the product. I remember seeing it on the shelves for sale in software stores. Never bought a copy, nor did I ever use it. Don't quote me on this, but I think it was absorbed into VB in later releases along with SQL support (yes/no?). I'm back from vacation... it was great, too short!

Alan

: Hi all!
    :
    : Does anyone remember a product from Microsoft called Basic Professional Development System (PDS) v7.0? The PDS was, if I recall, an editor/compiler/linker for DOS.
    :
    : Have you ever used it?
    :
    : Do you have a copy of it?
    :
    : I was just going through some old manuals and such and found my SQL Programmer's Developer's Toolkit for BASIC. It includes routines for Visual BASIC v 1.0, and the PDS.
    :
    : I don't remember anyone actually developing SQL applications in BASIC for DOS, but someone must have, because I have the toolkit!
    :
    : Just curious if anyone here ever used the PDS.
    :
    : Melissa
    :

• GodofCuboidsGodofCuboids Member Posts: 11
    : Hi all!
    :
    : Does anyone remember a product from Microsoft called Basic Professional Development System (PDS) v7.0? The PDS was, if I recall, an editor/compiler/linker for DOS.
    :
    : Have you ever used it?
    :
    : Do you have a copy of it?
    :
    : I was just going through some old manuals and such and found my SQL Programmer's Developer's Toolkit for BASIC. It includes routines for Visual BASIC v 1.0, and the PDS.
    :
    : I don't remember anyone actually developing SQL applications in BASIC for DOS, but someone must have, because I have the toolkit!
    :
    : Just curious if anyone here ever used the PDS.
    :
    : Melissa
    :

Yer I have used and have got PDS (or QuickBasic version 7.1) it was in fact, I think, the best version of QuickBasic that had such commands as CALL INTERUPPTX. Unfortunatly, as I have found, many programs written in QuickBasic 4.5 crash in QuickBasic 7.1.

QBasic 1.1 was, it seems a very cut down version of 7.1, since 7.1 I think was written in late 1980s whereas 1.1 early 1990s.

I would be very intersted in SQL programs in PDS. If you could email me at: Servercomputer@hotmail.com.

• DymanicDymanic Member Posts: 63
    : : Hi all!
    : :
    : : Does anyone remember a product from Microsoft called Basic Professional Development System (PDS) v7.0? The PDS was, if I recall, an editor/compiler/linker for DOS.
    : : Have you ever used it?
    : : Do you have a copy of it?
    : : I was just going through some old manuals and such and found my SQL Programmer's Developer's Toolkit for BASIC. It includes routines for Visual BASIC v 1.0, and the PDS.
    : : I don't remember anyone actually developing SQL applications in BASIC for DOS, but someone must have, because I have the toolkit!
    : : Just curious if anyone here ever used the PDS.
    : : Melissa
    :
    : Yer I have used and have got PDS (or QuickBasic version 7.1) it was in fact, I think, the best version of QuickBasic that had such commands as CALL INTERUPPTX. Unfortunatly, as I have found, many programs written in QuickBasic 4.5 crash in QuickBasic 7.1.
    :
    : QBasic 1.1 was, it seems a very cut down version of 7.1, since 7.1 I think was written in late 1980s whereas 1.1 early 1990s.
    :
    : I would be very intersted in SQL programs in PDS. If you could email me at: Servercomputer@hotmail.com.
    :

I've never had the problem of 4.5 progs craching under 7.1, but the other way around is often a problem.
    I think you must be right about 1.1 being a cutdown version. I've noticed that things like $INCLUDE don't work, but I always thought it was weird that it would say "Advanced feature unavailable", instead of just "Syntax error", (or nothing, since the command begins with a REM statement).
    7.1 has some nice features, like Programmer's Workbench and the ISAM database feature.

• melissa_may1melissa_may1 Member Posts: 937
    :
    : I would be very intersted in SQL programs in PDS...

Hi!

I don't have much information nor insight on SQL in PDS. The kit I was referring to was called the "SQL Programmer's Toolkit for Basic" (there was also one available at the time for C), which included documentation and supporting files for both VB v1.0 and PDS.

The toolkit was used for accessing Microsoft SQL 4.2, which itself ran on OS/2. (This is all pre-WinNT) I believe that it used named-pipes for communication from w/s to server.

I'm not sure exactly how the SQL-to-PDS connection worked, since I got the toolkit to use with VB, and never had PDS. I took a quick look at the manual last week, just before I posted, and just glanced at the commands.

Sorry, but I sent the manuals to the recycling center this weekend, or else I'd offer to look up more info. I'll see if they still have them, though, since they store everything in bins before sending them out. Don't expect me to "dumpster-dive", though, since these things are huge!

I may still have the disks, however, because they were not in the package when I tossed it. I'll let you all know if I come across them, or any other info on this.

Melissa

• melissa_may1melissa_may1 Member Posts: 937
    I'll be more careful not to toss anything to do with BASIC in the future.

I actually has this toolkit in my hand, debating what to do with it, when I finally said "Who's gonna want anything to do with SQL and BASIC any more?"

Guess I've learned my lesson...

• GodofCuboidsGodofCuboids Member Posts: 11
    : I've never had the problem of 4.5 progs craching under 7.1, but the other way around is often a problem.

I belive the problem arises when you try to run certain CALL ABSOUTLE statements (and machine code). Which works in 4.5 but not 7.1.

• NeoStriderNeoStrider Member Posts: 4
    Alright.
    The point is:
    QB4.5 and QBX 7.1 are almost two diferent sort of compilers. the first are so so...but it has directqb and I love directqb(unfortunate-ly...DQB doesn't work with PDS and VBDOS).I got VBDOS and PDS (both Profesisonal edition).
    VBDOS seems to be more complete,more slower,but more frendly.
    I think that with the correct QLB,VBDOS could be an powerful enviroment.
    Sorry the bad english (I'm brazilian,I talk portuguese)

• Draco889Draco889 Member Posts: 2
    I happen to have a copy of this Qbasic 7.1 or 7.0 (whichever it is)
    and i belive i still have the site where to ge it if anyone is interested.