Drivers etc... - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Drivers etc...

Hello.

I'm toying with the idea of installing Linux onto my laptop, but, I'm reluctant, because I doubt that there are drivers around to make it work. (I have a Mitsubishi Pedion P233 which is now no longer being manufactured and is not supported beyond Windows 95 - I discovered this after installing Windows 98 on it, only having to revert back to Windows 95).

So, is it a viable option to install Linux on such a machine?

Thanks,

Brian.

Comments

• garwaingarwain Posts: 297Member
    I'd say it would be worth a try. you might not get the sound card working properly (if at all), but the linux console of whatever distrib you use should get on there no problem, and the xXindows system should work if you choose the right one and the right monitor settings. There are quite a few defaults available or you can go completely with custom settings to get it working if you know your hardware.

: Hello.
    :
    : I'm toying with the idea of installing Linux onto my laptop, but, I'm reluctant, because I doubt that there are drivers around to make it work. (I have a Mitsubishi Pedion P233 which is now no longer being manufactured and is not supported beyond Windows 95 - I discovered this after installing Windows 98 on it, only having to revert back to Windows 95).
    :
    : So, is it a viable option to install Linux on such a machine?
    :
    : Thanks,
    :
    : Brian.
    :