Linux Networking - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Linux Networking

GuestGuest Posts: 3Member
Hello, I am new to Linux, all of you is a pro to me, i have just installed my redhat 7.1 and would like my linux Pc to form a network with my ms-windows, can anyone teach me how to do it, pls help me, thank you very very much.

Comments

• gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    netconf or is that netconfig in redhat ? One of them should work.

: Hello, I am new to Linux, all of you is a pro to me, i have just installed my redhat 7.1 and would like my linux Pc to form a network with my ms-windows, can anyone teach me how to do it, pls help me, thank you very very much.
    :

• GuestGuest Posts: 3Member
    Gautam,thank you so much, however, i still don't get it, can you tell me more specifically how to do it, do you mean to use the netconf to configure the network setting in linux, i have tried, but still not quite sure how to do it, pls help me.

: netconf or is that netconfig in redhat ? One of them should work.
    :
    :
    :
    : : Hello, I am new to Linux, all of you is a pro to me, i have just installed my redhat 7.1 and would like my linux Pc to form a network with my ms-windows, can anyone teach me how to do it, pls help me, thank you very very much.
    : :
    :
    :

• garwaingarwain Posts: 297Member
    use NetConfig to set up your TCP/IP connection to your network, Once you have done that and you machine is in the same subnet as another machine on you network you can then connect to you linux box via it's IP address.
    for example
    Windows machine:
    IP: 192.168.0.2
    Subnet 255.255.255.0

Linux machin
    IP: 192.168.0.3
    Subnet 255.255.255.0

you can now run telnet to connect to the linux machine from the windows machine, or an FTP program or web browser depending on what is running. (I don't think FTPD or HTTPD run by default on RH 7.1)

If you want to use machine names between linux and windows machines I believe you would have to install samba on the linux box. Someone else would have to help you with this since I have never used it.

Hope this helps.
    Ben

• GuestGuest Posts: 3Member
    Ben,thank you so much, your information is very helpful and i really appreciate your response. i will try to gather more information and setup my LAN. once again, thank you!, keep in touch.

: use NetConfig to set up your TCP/IP connection to your network, Once you have done that and you machine is in the same subnet as another machine on you network you can then connect to you linux box via it's IP address.
    : for example
    : Windows machine:
    : IP: 192.168.0.2
    : Subnet 255.255.255.0
    :
    : Linux machin
    : IP: 192.168.0.3
    : Subnet 255.255.255.0
    :
    : you can now run telnet to connect to the linux machine from the windows machine, or an FTP program or web browser depending on what is running. (I don't think FTPD or HTTPD run by default on RH 7.1)
    :
    : If you want to use machine names between linux and windows machines I believe you would have to install samba on the linux box. Someone else would have to help you with this since I have never used it.
    :
    : Hope this helps.
    : Ben
    :