Red Hat 7 installation - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Red Hat 7 installation

GeoHoffmanGeoHoffman Posts: 176Member
First I want to say hello to the other members of this forum. This is my first post here.

I have installed Red Hat Linux 7. I installed it on a hard drive that already had Windows 98 SE on the first partition. When I try to boot Linux it freezes at a message that says :

Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount FS on 03:03.

I am assuming the 03:03 has something to do with it being on the third partition (the partitions are 1: windows / 2: Linux Swap / 3: Linux). There are only two things I can think of that could be wrong as I am new to linux. Either there is no driver for my HD (a Quantum Fireball cx 3.5 series) or maybe Linux needs to be on the first partition. Should I try removing windows and installing Linux on the first partition? Where should I look to find out if my Hard Drive is supported? I tried the Red Hat page but I didn't see anything on drivers. Thanks for any help or even just reading this.

-Geo

Comments

• gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    : First I want to say hello to the other members of this forum. This is my first post here.

Hello

:
    : I have installed Red Hat Linux 7. I installed it on a hard drive that already had Windows 98 SE on the first partition. When I try to boot Linux it freezes at a message that says :
    :
    : Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount FS on 03:03.
    :
    : I am assuming the 03:03 has something to do with it being on the third partition (the partitions are 1: windows / 2: Linux Swap / 3: Linux).

:There are only two things I can think of that could be wrong as
    :I am new to linux.Either there is no driver for my HD
    :(a Quantum Fireball cx 3.5 series) or maybe Linux needs to be
    :on the first partition.

Regarding the hard disk driver I am sure its quite well supported.
    Linux need to be on the 1st partition ? Really the answer is no. I have it on the last partition of my hard disk.

:Should I try removing windows and installing Linux on the first
    :partition?
    I don't see how this will help in anyway.

I suggest you try the redhat boot disk - also I presume if you make a redhat rescue disk it should take you to linux single prompt. I am not very sure of how redhat bootdisks work because I don't use redhat.

Maybe garwin will be able to help you.

• garwaingarwain Posts: 297Member
    : : Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount FS on 03:03.

I have never seen this before, but I just found an artical that might help at
    http://www.tesre.bo.cnr.it/Services/Local/RedHat-FAQ/DOCS/boot13.html

: I suggest you try the redhat boot disk - also I presume if you make a redhat rescue disk it should take you to linux single prompt. I am not very sure of how redhat bootdisks work because I don't use redhat.
    :
    : Maybe garwin will be able to help you.

The redhat boot disk that you make during the install will load a generic kernel and leave you at the login for text mode.

• GeoHoffmanGeoHoffman Posts: 176Member
    Thank you Gautam and Garwain for your replies. I think I have figured out what might have been wrong. I am now able to load linux but I still am not able to dual boot between linux and windows. I would like to have two seperate partitions; one for Linux and one for Windows (because partitionless installations come with a cut in performance). What is the best possible way to do this (that is if it is possible)? Can I set Lilo up so that it gives me a choice between windows and linux at startup? Can this be done without a boot disk?

: Thank you Gautam and Garwain for your replies. I think I have figured out what might have been wrong. I am now able to load linux but I still am not able to dual boot between linux and windows. I would like to have two seperate partitions; one for Linux and one for Windows (because partitionless installations come with a cut in performance). What is the best possible way to do this (that is if it is possible)? Can I set Lilo up so that it gives me a choice between windows and linux at startup? Can this be done without a boot disk?
    :

Lilo should give you no trouble. It can do dual boot with windows and linux. Its fairly simple to setup.

• GeoHoffmanGeoHoffman Posts: 176Member
    I now have Linux up and running. I decided to go ahead and use a boot disk. I really like the GUI (Gnome) although it is going to take some getting used to and I will probably try KDE as well. The BASH shell seems a little more complicated than the DOS prompt that I am used to working with but hopefully that to will only be a matter of time. I have already changed the prompt to show only the full working directory like in DOS (I guess it is man's inate nature to fear change). I appreciate your prompt replies. I will probably be back again in the near future with more questions. By the way, are you (Gautam) a moderator as well or is it just Garwain?

: I now have Linux up and running. I decided to go ahead and use a boot disk. I really like the GUI (Gnome) although it is going to take some getting used to and I will probably try KDE as well. The BASH shell seems a little more complicated than the DOS prompt that I am used to working with but hopefully that to will only be a matter of time. I have already changed the prompt to show only the full working directory like in DOS (I guess it is man's inate nature to fear change). I appreciate your prompt replies. I will probably be back again in the near future with more questions. By the way, are you (Gautam) a moderator as well or is it just Garwain?
    :

Just garwain :-)

Good luck with linux