Red Hat 7 installation - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Red Hat 7 installation

GeoHoffmanGeoHoffman Posts: 176Member
First I want to say hello to the other members of this forum. This is my first post here.

I have installed Red Hat Linux 7. I installed it on a hard drive that already had Windows 98 SE on the first partition. When I try to boot Linux it freezes at a message that says :

Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount FS on 03:03.

I am assuming the 03:03 has something to do with it being on the third partition (the partitions are 1: windows / 2: Linux Swap / 3: Linux). There are only two things I can think of that could be wrong as I am new to linux. Either there is no driver for my HD (a Quantum Fireball cx 3.5 series) or maybe Linux needs to be on the first partition. Should I try removing windows and installing Linux on the first partition? Where should I look to find out if my Hard Drive is supported? I tried the Red Hat page but I didn't see anything on drivers. Thanks for any help or even just reading this.

-Geo

Comments

• gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    : First I want to say hello to the other members of this forum. This is my first post here.

Hello

:
    : I have installed Red Hat Linux 7. I installed it on a hard drive that already had Windows 98 SE on the first partition. When I try to boot Linux it freezes at a message that says :
    :
    : Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount FS on 03:03.
    :
    : I am assuming the 03:03 has something to do with it being on the third partition (the partitions are 1: windows / 2: Linux Swap / 3: Linux).

:There are only two things I can think of that could be wrong as
    :I am new to linux.Either there is no driver for my HD
    :(a Quantum Fireball cx 3.5 series) or maybe Linux needs to be
    :on the first partition.

Regarding the hard disk driver I am sure its quite well supported.
    Linux need to be on the 1st partition ? Really the answer is no. I have it on the last partition of my hard disk.

:Should I try removing windows and installing Linux on the first
    :partition?
    I don't see how this will help in anyway.

I suggest you try the redhat boot disk - also I presume if you make a redhat rescue disk it should take you to linux single prompt. I am not very sure of how redhat bootdisks work because I don't use redhat.

Maybe garwin will be able to help you.

• garwaingarwain Posts: 297Member
    : : Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount FS on 03:03.

I have never seen this before, but I just found an artical that might help at
    http://www.tesre.bo.cnr.it/Services/Local/RedHat-FAQ/DOCS/boot13.html

: I suggest you try the redhat boot disk - also I presume if you make a redhat rescue disk it should take you to linux single prompt. I am not very sure of how redhat bootdisks work because I don't use redhat.
    :
    : Maybe garwin will be able to help you.

The redhat boot disk that you make during the install will load a generic kernel and leave you at the login for text mode.

• GeoHoffmanGeoHoffman Posts: 176Member
    Thank you Gautam and Garwain for your replies. I think I have figured out what might have been wrong. I am now able to load linux but I still am not able to dual boot between linux and windows. I would like to have two seperate partitions; one for Linux and one for Windows (because partitionless installations come with a cut in performance). What is the best possible way to do this (that is if it is possible)? Can I set Lilo up so that it gives me a choice between windows and linux at startup? Can this be done without a boot disk?

: Thank you Gautam and Garwain for your replies. I think I have figured out what might have been wrong. I am now able to load linux but I still am not able to dual boot between linux and windows. I would like to have two seperate partitions; one for Linux and one for Windows (because partitionless installations come with a cut in performance). What is the best possible way to do this (that is if it is possible)? Can I set Lilo up so that it gives me a choice between windows and linux at startup? Can this be done without a boot disk?
    :

Lilo should give you no trouble. It can do dual boot with windows and linux. Its fairly simple to setup.

• GeoHoffmanGeoHoffman Posts: 176Member
    I now have Linux up and running. I decided to go ahead and use a boot disk. I really like the GUI (Gnome) although it is going to take some getting used to and I will probably try KDE as well. The BASH shell seems a little more complicated than the DOS prompt that I am used to working with but hopefully that to will only be a matter of time. I have already changed the prompt to show only the full working directory like in DOS (I guess it is man's inate nature to fear change). I appreciate your prompt replies. I will probably be back again in the near future with more questions. By the way, are you (Gautam) a moderator as well or is it just Garwain?

: I now have Linux up and running. I decided to go ahead and use a boot disk. I really like the GUI (Gnome) although it is going to take some getting used to and I will probably try KDE as well. The BASH shell seems a little more complicated than the DOS prompt that I am used to working with but hopefully that to will only be a matter of time. I have already changed the prompt to show only the full working directory like in DOS (I guess it is man's inate nature to fear change). I appreciate your prompt replies. I will probably be back again in the near future with more questions. By the way, are you (Gautam) a moderator as well or is it just Garwain?
    :

Just garwain :-)

Good luck with linux