Looking for a linux distri - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Looking for a linux distri

Balu RedBalu Red Posts: 4Member
I'm looking for a small linux distribution for an old laptop (386sx machine with only 2 mb of RAM). Furthermore I need tcp/ip packet driver and support for modem on serial port (PPP).

Does anyone know where I can find such an distribution for download. I have only 20 mb available on HD.

Thanx, Balu Red

Comments

• gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    : I'm looking for a small linux distribution for an old laptop (386sx machine with only 2 mb of RAM). Furthermore I need tcp/ip packet driver and support for modem on serial port (PPP).
    :
    : Does anyone know where I can find such an distribution for download. I have only 20 mb available on HD.
    :
    : Thanx, Balu Red
    :

Hi,

You should really try some old slackware distributions, pretty well works on 386's. 20mb hard disk only ? hmm then you will need some really old ones, I don't think they are available for downloads.

Secodnly I suggest you check out www.linux.com and www.linux.org where they have a detailed list of distributions available, with their good and bad points. That may help you.

Eventually I also suggest you check out freesco, its not linux, but it well supports what you need. TCP/IP, network support, 1 floppy distritbution and requires probably only 1-2mb of ram - www.freesco.org

• Balu RedBalu Red Posts: 4Member
    : : I'm looking for a small linux distribution for an old laptop (386sx machine with only 2 mb of RAM). Furthermore I need tcp/ip packet driver and support for modem on serial port (PPP).
    : :
    : : Does anyone know where I can find such an distribution for download. I have only 20 mb available on HD.
    : : Thanx, Balu Red
    :
    : Hi,
    :
    : You should really try some old slackware distributions, pretty well works on 386's. 20mb hard disk only ? hmm then you will need some really old ones, I don't think they are available for downloads.
    :
    : Secodnly I suggest you check out www.linux.com and www.linux.org where they have a detailed list of distributions available, with their good and bad points. That may help you.
    :
    : Eventually I also suggest you check out freesco, its not linux, but it well supports what you need. TCP/IP, network support, 1 floppy distritbution and requires probably only 1-2mb of ram - www.freesco.org
    :

----reply----

Hello!

First of all thanks.

Slackware? Hm, do they have a distribution smaller than 10 mb?
    Looking for a small linux I've found a nice distri called Mini Linux ( http://ftp.kiae.su/pub/linux/mini-linux/). This is absolutely what I'm looking for. But unzipping the files I got lots of errors :-(

Okay, I'll check out the sources you told me...

CYa, greetings from germany - Balu Red

: Slackware? Hm, do they have a distribution smaller than 10 mb?

Hmm they have a live system in each distribution which runs of a cd. They also have a distribution seperately made for the umsdos filesystem called zipslack. www.slackware.com Old distributions can be tweaked for optimum installations, but they aren't available for download :-(

I seriously suggest freesco though.

• mgrivasmgrivas Posts: 3Member
    I believe that it doesn't have to do with the distribution per se. You should make it work with most of the distributions, except some very demanding ones. Linux can work anywhere -from an 386SX onwards. The installation program may need a PIII to run.
    There is a way that needs your searching and reading: copy the kernel and Network files (binaries if found) from the CD -only those you need though, re-compile the kernel (such as make Config in source dir.) with your modules installed (not dynamic module load) and ... voila! If you don't have space, try running "make Config" from CD, playing with the directories to have the results stored on your disk. Remember that a fully functional ;) Linux can start from a floppy-disk, including kernel, cd and network modules.
    If you can't bother with this start with trying to install from a usual distribution (say Red-Hat 6.1), using text and expert mode and removing everything but what you need.

You should keep in mind that Linux has *NOTHING* to do with the distribution you buy. You can download just the kernel files and the necessary modules and bind them (compile + link = make) to a single 1 MB file.

: I'm looking for a small linux distribution for an old laptop (386sx machine with only 2 mb of RAM). Furthermore I need tcp/ip packet driver and support for modem on serial port (PPP).
    :
    : Does anyone know where I can find such an distribution for download. I have only 20 mb available on HD.
    :
    : Thanx, Balu Red
    :

As far as I know Redhat comes optimized for a Pentium, and I doubt one will ever be able to compile a 2.2.x kernel with 2mb of ram. It probably will error out with signal 11.

: I believe that it doesn't have to do with the distribution per se. You should make it work with most of the distributions, except some very demanding ones. Linux can work anywhere -from an 386SX onwards. The installation program may need a PIII to run.
    : There is a way that needs your searching and reading: copy the kernel and Network files (binaries if found) from the CD -only those you need though, re-compile the kernel (such as make Config in source dir.) with your modules installed (not dynamic module load) and ... voila! If you don't have space, try running "make Config" from CD, playing with the directories to have the results stored on your disk. Remember that a fully functional ;) Linux can start from a floppy-disk, including kernel, cd and network modules.
    : If you can't bother with this start with trying to install from a usual distribution (say Red-Hat 6.1), using text and expert mode and removing everything but what you need.
    :
    : You should keep in mind that Linux has *NOTHING* to do with the distribution you buy. You can download just the kernel files and the necessary modules and bind them (compile + link = make) to a single 1 MB file.
    :
    : : I'm looking for a small linux distribution for an old laptop (386sx machine with only 2 mb of RAM). Furthermore I need tcp/ip packet driver and support for modem on serial port (PPP).
    : : Does anyone know where I can find such an distribution for download. I have only 20 mb available on HD.
    : : Thanx, Balu Red
    :
    :

• mgrivasmgrivas Posts: 3Member
    I hope (just hope) you are not right.
    Redhat 6.1 could run in 386 as well (at least so said when "make Config", a year ago).
    About kernel 2.2, you may be right, I haven't try it. However, I mentioned trying the binaries, meaning that only link will happen at the end, if the proper images found. I have the feeling (never tried it) that "make" can do the proper job, i.e. just link with small mem, possibly if there is enough swap-space. After all, it can always be done in another machine and be copied via floppy disk(s).
    I am not an expert, but I had compiled it many times and created files that were quite small.
    After all, a try will show, right ? (If the guy has enough time ;) ).

: As far as I know Redhat comes optimized for a Pentium, and I doubt one will ever be able to compile a 2.2.x kernel with 2mb of ram. It probably will error out with signal 11.
    :