how to shutdown the x server. - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

how to shutdown the x server.

nysbnysb Posts: 8Member
HI,

I have the Redhad, which was configured to start X server automatically. Now I want to somehow restart to the command line mode with X server not on so that I can do some configuration of X server. Does anybody know how to shutdown X server and go back to the command line mode? Thanks a lot.

Comments

• gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    : HI,
    :
    : I have the Redhad, which was configured to start X server automatically. Now I want to somehow restart to the command line mode with X server not on so that I can do some configuration of X server. Does anybody know how to shutdown X server and go back to the command line mode? Thanks a lot.
    :

You need to stop xdm - comment it being called in rc.scripts

• abcabc Posts: 443Member
    : HI,
    :
    : I have the Redhad, which was configured to start X server automatically. Now I want to somehow restart to the command line mode with X server not on so that I can do some configuration of X server. Does anybody know how to shutdown X server and go back to the command line mode? Thanks a lot.
    :

change the default runlevel to a non-xdm case, restart, do what you need and change it again to the xdm case