RS-232 input - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

RS-232 input

pcrompcrom Posts: 7Member
Hello,

I have a voltage meter connected to my RS-232 port and want to display the value on a website.

I made a program which is always on the background (VB). Every 10 seconds it reads out the voltage meter and produces a straight text-HTML file every 10 seconds. When I open this file in my web browser it works.

But I don't think this is the common way to make such things work.

Could someone give me a hint how to do this in a professional way ? I was thinking of an .exe-file which is executed via a CGI script ? Is this possible ?

My background : I have a programming background using Turbo Pascal / C / C++ / little VB but did nothing with the internet upto now.

Any hints ?

Comments

• ManishManish Posts: 119Member

Hello,

What I gather from here is 3 possibilities with CGI or ASP:

1. You create a program in ASP (which is better at dealing with VB) and it directly calls a function in your VB program (you'll have to convert your program into a DLL..its easy however) and takes the returned value and displays it on the browser.

(post in the ASP forum if you need more information on this)

2. You can create a C++ CGI program to do the above.

(again, post in the CGI forum if you need more info)

3. If you can ensure that the VB program is running the in background of the server (where the .html file is to be hosted) (this requires a dedicated server if you aren't only testing on your local intranet or local machine), then you can simply put an "HTTP META Refresh" tag in your .html file which will automatically reload the .html file in your browser after a specified interval of time. This way, it always read the latest file generated by your VB program.

Hope the above helped in some way. :-)

Manish.

• pcrompcrom Posts: 7Member
    :
    : Hello,
    :
    : What I gather from here is 3 possibilities with CGI or ASP:
    :
    : 1. You create a program in ASP (which is better at dealing with VB) and it directly calls a function in your VB program (you'll have to convert your program into a DLL..its easy however) and takes the returned value and displays it on the browser.
    :
    : (post in the ASP forum if you need more information on this)
    :
    : 2. You can create a C++ CGI program to do the above.
    :
    : (again, post in the CGI forum if you need more info)
    :
    : 3. If you can ensure that the VB program is running the in background of the server (where the .html file is to be hosted) (this requires a dedicated server if you aren't only testing on your local intranet or local machine), then you can simply put an "HTTP META Refresh" tag in your .html file which will automatically reload the .html file in your browser after a specified interval of time. This way, it always read the latest file generated by your VB program.
    :
    :
    : Hope the above helped in some way. :-)
    :
    : Manish.
    :
    :

Ok, thanks very much. I allready tried option 3 and this works ok.

Patrick

• niyati247niyati247 Posts: 3Member
    hi..can u plz tell me where and how to see the input of rs232 in laptop?i have interfaced 89c51 with rs232 and i have used db15 male n female connector.