Newbie needs advice!!!!! - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Newbie needs advice!!!!!

PamPam Posts: 8Member
I need the opinion of experienced programmers. I'm switching careers, as I found out that marketing won't cut it especially that the economy isn't doing great, and decided to quit my current job, dedicate 1 year to pursue/study "programming" in a nearby univesity. I have many choices which is confusing at the moment and want to make sure before I invest the time and money that I'm doing the right thing, so I need your assistance in telling me if the following choices I made have demand, mind you I live in California:

Primary choices:
1. C++
2. Java (or C++ is enough?)
3. ASP
4. HTML/XHTML

Secondary choices (to substitute for any of the primary ones):
5. Visual Basic ?? (or I can pick it up by knowing C)
6. Visual C++ (same as C++ but for win??)
7. Perl?
8. XML?

Please let me know if you have other opinions. Thanks.

P.S. I'm posting this message on other boards.

Pam

Comments

• AlienripperAlienripper Posts: 133Member
    : I need the opinion of experienced programmers. I'm switching careers, as I found out that marketing won't cut it especially that the economy isn't doing great, and decided to quit my current job, dedicate 1 year to pursue/study "programming" in a nearby univesity. I have many choices which is confusing at the moment and want to make sure before I invest the time and money that I'm doing the right thing, so I need your assistance in telling me if the following choices I made have demand, mind you I live in California:
    :
    : Primary choices:
    : 1. C++
    : 2. Java (or C++ is enough?)
    : 3. ASP
    : 4. HTML/XHTML
    :
    : Secondary choices (to substitute for any of the primary ones):
    : 5. Visual Basic ?? (or I can pick it up by knowing C)
    : 6. Visual C++ (same as C++ but for win??)
    : 7. Perl?
    : 8. XML?
    :
    : Please let me know if you have other opinions. Thanks.
    :
    : P.S. I'm posting this message on other boards.
    :
    : Pam
    :
    I'd say study C++, for it is THE programming language. Java is easy to learn once you know C++. Visual C++ is Microsoft's C/C++ compiler. You can create Windows programs with other compilers too.. Let's hope you find the best pick

• Feanors CurseFeanors Curse Posts: 70Member
    HTML/XML are no programming languages. They are markup languages, XML is especially for structurisation of Data, HTML is for visualisation.

[size=1][Blue]For our true nature is sin
    [B]Cradle of Filth[/b]

Wer Rtsel mag, sollte mein Forum besuchen:
    http://www.boardy.de/forumdisplay.php3?forumid=1046[Black][size=2]

• Nuno GuedesNuno Guedes Posts: 3Member
    : HTML/XML are no programming languages. They are markup languages, XML is especially for structurisation of Data, HTML is for visualisation.
    :
    : [size=1][Blue]For our true nature is sin
    : [B]Cradle of Filth[/b]
    :
    : Wer Rtsel mag, sollte mein Forum besuchen:
    : http://www.boardy.de/forumdisplay.php3?forumid=1046[Black][size=2]
    :
    :
    :
    I agree with that after learning C++, Java is easy. But after Java, C++ is easy also(for this is my case). HTMl and XML are in fact no programming languages, in short,HTML tells the browser how to display information and XML is basically used for storing data(but has other features) in portable way(and portability is the main word today).
    Regards,
    Nuno