PRO Software - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

PRO Software

I have begun C programming, but now I need to know something. If I want to become a pro, and make a product such as Norton SystemWorks, which compiler must I use? Is Borland C++ Builder 5 enough? Or must I have some expensive million-dollar compiler to compile something such as Norton SyustemWorks or the Windows OS? (if I make something like that one day ;) )

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    : I have begun C programming, but now I need to know something. If I want to become a pro, and make a product such as Norton SystemWorks, which compiler must I use? Is Borland C++ Builder 5 enough? Or must I have some expensive million-dollar compiler to compile something such as Norton SyustemWorks or the Windows OS? (if I make something like that one day ;) )
    :
    You could do it with QuickBASIC4.5 if you were good. The compiler doesn't really have much to do with the quality of the software. The quality comes from how good the programmer is, and how well he codes. Sloppy code and a lack of knowledge wouldn't make a program worth much even if you used soem godly compiler, whereas a guy that has every language memorized that used an el-cheapo home-made compiler could do something as good as Windows or Linux. Take your time and don't set your goals too high right away and you'll have plenty of luck. I set my goals WAY too high when I started Windows C/C++ with Borland 5.02, and as a result, I couldn't ever get anything done, so I started over and worked on one thing at a time. Now I am making a full BSP engine for Win9X/ME/2K.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    : : I have begun C programming, but now I need to know something. If I want to become a pro, and make a product such as Norton SystemWorks, which compiler must I use? Is Borland C++ Builder 5 enough? Or must I have some expensive million-dollar compiler to compile something such as Norton SyustemWorks or the Windows OS? (if I make something like that one day ;) )
    : :
    : You could do it with QuickBASIC4.5 if you were good. The compiler doesn't really have much to do with the quality of the software. The quality comes from how good the programmer is, and how well he codes. Sloppy code and a lack of knowledge wouldn't make a program worth much even if you used soem godly compiler, whereas a guy that has every language memorized that used an el-cheapo home-made compiler could do something as good as Windows or Linux. Take your time and don't set your goals too high right away and you'll have plenty of luck. I set my goals WAY too high when I started Windows C/C++ with Borland 5.02, and as a result, I couldn't ever get anything done, so I started over and worked on one thing at a time. Now I am making a full BSP engine for Win9X/ME/2K.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]
    :
    :

You can download the Borland C++ compiler for free and use in as a command line tool (that is what it is). To edit your source code you can find a bunch of editors laying around the Web...

Borland compilers are quite good, you know..

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    : You can download the Borland C++ compiler for free and use in as a command line tool (that is what it is). To edit your source code you can find a bunch of editors laying around the Web...
    :
    : Borland compilers are quite good, you know..
    :
    :

Oh yeah, Borland all the way! Heck, if you wanted an easy start in programming and had the cash, I'd get their Visual C++ and use it. Then, you could easily drag and drop stuff to your liking, and later view the source code to see what is actually going on, although visual is much more limited than raw text editing, in my opinion, so after you figure out what does what, you could gain more control by actually typing the code yourself.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]

• Sephiroth2Sephiroth2 Posts: 423Member
    : I have begun C programming, but now I need to know something. If I want to become a pro, and make a product such as Norton SystemWorks, which compiler must I use? Is Borland C++ Builder 5 enough? Or must I have some expensive million-dollar compiler to compile something such as Norton SyustemWorks or the Windows OS? (if I make something like that one day ;) )
    :
    A compiler does not make a pro. The pro makes the compiler.