Converting to dialog units - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Converting to dialog units

RX7RX7 Posts: 9Member
Lets say I have a dialog box with a button on it. What I'm trying to do is change the buttons position and/or size, relative to its previous position and size.

I use [b]GetWindowRect()[/b] to retrieve the [b]RECT[/b] of the button. I guess the unit I get is pixels. Then I use [b]GetDialogBaseUnits()[/b] and convert from pixels to dialog untis as stated in the [b]Win32 Programmer's Reference[/b] under [b]GetDialogBaseUnits()[/b]. Finally I use [b]MoveWindow[/b] to move and/or resize the button.

Here is where I have trouble. When I try to "move" it to the same position as it allready is (set in the resource file), it should stay in place, but it moves around. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry, I'm not exactly the king when it comes to explaining stuff. :-)

Comments

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    : Lets say I have a dialog box with a button on it. What I'm trying to do is change the buttons position and/or size, relative to its previous position and size.
    :
    : I use [b]GetWindowRect()[/b] to retrieve the [b]RECT[/b] of the button. I guess the unit I get is pixels. Then I use [b]GetDialogBaseUnits()[/b] and convert from pixels to dialog untis as stated in the [b]Win32 Programmer's Reference[/b] under [b]GetDialogBaseUnits()[/b]. Finally I use [b]MoveWindow[/b] to move and/or resize the button.
    :
    : Here is where I have trouble. When I try to "move" it to the same position as it allready is (set in the resource file), it should stay in place, but it moves around. What am I doing wrong?
    :
    : Sorry, I'm not exactly the king when it comes to explaining stuff. :-)
    :

'MoveWindow()' uses the same pixels as 'GetWindowRect()' so you do not have to convert anything...

• RX7RX7 Posts: 9Member
    Thanks for your reply.

Ok, [b]GetWindowRect()[/b] and [b]MoveWindow()[/b] both use pixels. Then the following piece of code should make the button stay in place, right?

[code]
    RECT rcWnd;

GetWindowRect(GetDlgItem(GetActiveWindow(), IDBUTTON), &rcWnd);
    MoveWindow(GetDlgItem(GetActiveWindow(), IDBUTTON), rcWnd.left, rcWnd.top, rcWnd.right - rcWnd.left, rcWnd.bottom - rcWnd.top, TRUE);
    [/code]

But it doesn't, why is that?

Thanks again!

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    : Thanks for your reply.
    :
    : Ok, [b]GetWindowRect()[/b] and [b]MoveWindow()[/b] both use pixels. Then the following piece of code should make the button stay in place, right?
    :
    : [code]
    : RECT rcWnd;
    :
    : GetWindowRect(GetDlgItem(GetActiveWindow(), IDBUTTON), &rcWnd);
    : MoveWindow(GetDlgItem(GetActiveWindow(), IDBUTTON), rcWnd.left, rcWnd.top, rcWnd.right - rcWnd.left, rcWnd.bottom - rcWnd.top, TRUE);
    : [/code]
    :
    : But it doesn't, why is that?
    :
    : Thanks again!
    :

Try this:
    [code]
    MoveWindow(GetDlgItem(GetActiveWindow(), IDBUTTON), rcWnd.left, rcWnd.top, , , TRUE);
    [/code]

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]

That happens, because 'GetWindowRect()' returns pixels relative to the whole screen, but when you 'MoveWindow()' a button - you use coordinates, relative to a dialog, because button is a child in the dialog, the correct code is this:

RECT rect;
    HWND hButton = GetDlgItem (hDlg, IDC_BUTTON1);

GetWindowRect (hButton, &rect);
    ScreenToClient (hDlg, (POINT*) &(rect.left));
    ScreenToClient (hDlg, (POINT*) &(rect.right));
    OffsetRect (&rect, 8, 0); // Shift it 8 pixels to the right
    MoveWindow (hButton, rect.left, rect.top, rect.right-rect.left, rect.bottom-rect.top, TRUE);

Cheers!

Is there a better way of getting the dialog handle, than using [b]GetActiveWindow()[/b]?

Thanks again for your help, I'm grateful!

I have another question, hope you don't mind.

I seem to get it to work without using [b]OffsetRect[/b]. But I have another problem. I want to convert the button's posistion and size, from pixels to dialog units, to display them in a [b]MessageBox()[/b] (or whatever). If I haven't moved it after I start the program, I should, when I have converted to dialog units, get the same left, top, width, and height as I set in the resource file right? I try to convert using the following code:
    [code]
    typedef struct DLGRECT {
    LONG left;
    LONG top;
    LONG width;
    LONG height;
    }

RECT rcWnd;
    DLGRECT rcDlg;
    LONG DlgBaseUnits, BaseUnitX, BaseUnitY;

DlgBaseUnits = GetDialogBaseUnits();
    BaseUnitX = LOWORD(DlgBaseUnits);
    BaseUnitY = HIWORD(DlgBaseUnits);

GetWindowRect(GetDlgItem(GetActiveWindow(), IDBUTTON), &rcWnd);

rcDlg.left = (rcWnd.left * 4) / BaseUnitX;
    rcDlg.width = ((rcWnd.right - rcWnd.left) * 4) / BaseUnitX;
    rcDlg.top = (rcWnd.top * 8) / BaseUnitY;
    rcDlg.height = ((rcWnd.bottom - rcWnd.top) * 8) / BaseUnitY;
    [/code]
    But it doesn't work! I get the wrong dialog units. Can you help?

Thanks again!

: I have another question, hope you don't mind.
    :
    : I seem to get it to work without using [b]OffsetRect[/b]. But I have another problem. I want to convert the button's posistion and size, from pixels to dialog units, to display them in a [b]MessageBox()[/b] (or whatever). If I haven't moved it after I start the program, I should, when I have converted to dialog units, get the same left, top, width, and height as I set in the resource file right? I try to convert using the following code:
    : [code]
    : typedef struct DLGRECT {
    : LONG left;
    : LONG top;
    : LONG width;
    : LONG height;
    : }
    :
    : RECT rcWnd;
    : DLGRECT rcDlg;
    : LONG DlgBaseUnits, BaseUnitX, BaseUnitY;
    :
    : DlgBaseUnits = GetDialogBaseUnits();
    : BaseUnitX = LOWORD(DlgBaseUnits);
    : BaseUnitY = HIWORD(DlgBaseUnits);
    :
    : GetWindowRect(GetDlgItem(GetActiveWindow(), IDBUTTON), &rcWnd);
    :
    : rcDlg.left = (rcWnd.left * 4) / BaseUnitX;
    : rcDlg.width = ((rcWnd.right - rcWnd.left) * 4) / BaseUnitX;
    : rcDlg.top = (rcWnd.top * 8) / BaseUnitY;
    : rcDlg.height = ((rcWnd.bottom - rcWnd.top) * 8) / BaseUnitY;
    : [/code]
    : But it doesn't work! I get the wrong dialog units. Can you help?
    :
    : Thanks again!
    :
    :

Good link for you:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/hh/winui/dlgboxes_7wfn.asp

: Is there a better way of getting the dialog handle, than using [b]GetActiveWindow()[/b]?
    :
    : Thanks again for your help, I'm grateful!
    :

Well, if you pass an HWND which came into your dialog procedure in every function you write then you get your HDLG everywhere without calling 'GetActiveWindow()' - it can cause problems when you do some background processing in your dialog, but in some moment you switch to another task - it will give you the HWND of the window in that task instead of your dialog...

[code]
    void InitControls (HWND hDlg)
    {
    }

void WmCommand (HWND hDlg, WORD wControlID, WORD wNotification)
    {
    }

BOOL CALLBACK MyDlgProc (HWND hDlg, UINT msg, WPARAM wp, LPARAM lp)
    {
    switch (msg) {
    case WM_INITDIALOG:
    InitControls (hDlg);
    break;
    case WM_COMMAND:
    WmCommand (hDlg, LOWORD (wp), HIWORD (wp));
    break;
    default:
    return FALSE;
    }
    return TRUE;
    }
    [/code]

Another way is to make it global for only this source file when it comes in WM_INITDIALOG:

[code]
    static HWND st_hDlg;

BOOL CALLBACK MyDlgProc (HWND hDlg, UINT msg, WPARAM wp, LPARAM lp)
    {
    case WM_INITDIALOG:
    st_hDlg = hDlg;
    break;
    }

[/code]

But it can cause problems in case you have two of these dialogs running as modeless...

I just realized something... if you are trying to resize a button to take the whole sufrace of a dialog you do not need all that:

[code]
    void ResizeButton (HWND hDlg, int nBtnID)
    {
    RECT dlgRect;
    HWND hButton = GetDlgItem (hDlg, nBtnID);

GetClientRect (hDlg, &dlgRect);
    MoveWindow (hButton, 0, 0, dlgRect.right, dlgRect.bottom, TRUE);
    }
    [/code]