Startup programs/processes - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Startup programs/processes

Could someone please tell me what the recessed area at the right side of the taskbar is called. It includes the clock and icons for programs that magically seem to get started when Windows starts. Also, could you tell me where Windows 2000 (or 95, 98, ME) stores the information on what programs to start for this area. I don't find them in the 'Startup' folder. It appears that the (applications?) that display icons here show up as 'processes' rather than 'tasks'. Is it possible to create an application using VB6 that resides there.

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    : Could someone please tell me what the recessed area at the right side of the taskbar is called. It includes the clock and icons for programs that magically seem to get started when Windows starts. Also, could you tell me where Windows 2000 (or 95, 98, ME) stores the information on what programs to start for this area. I don't find them in the 'Startup' folder. It appears that the (applications?) that display icons here show up as 'processes' rather than 'tasks'. Is it possible to create an application using VB6 that resides there.
    :

Run regedit and check out this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun

There are several Run* keys, I suggest checking them all out. If it isn't on your Startup folder, it's most-likely here. You can also run MSINFO32 and go to "Software EnvironmentStartup Programs" and it will tell you what programs are loaded at startup and where from (registry or startup), and usually who wrote the software and what it does.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red]

• adrianxwadrianxw Posts: 127Member
    : Could someone please tell me what the recessed area at the right side of the taskbar is called. It includes the clock and icons for programs that magically seem to get started when Windows starts. Also, could you tell me where Windows 2000 (or 95, 98, ME) stores the information on what programs to start for this area. I don't find them in the 'Startup' folder. It appears that the (applications?) that display icons here show up as 'processes' rather than 'tasks'. Is it possible to create an application using VB6 that resides there.
    :

It is generally known as the "System Tray", although "Taskbar Status Area" is also used. You can write applications that sit there. Check out the Shell_NotifyIcon() API routine.

Med venlig hilsen,

Adrian...