JCombobox events - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

JCombobox events

hellbringer123hellbringer123 Posts: 1Member
Hi!

I want to react when the user enters text in a jcombobox (as soon as he enters the first character). He should not have to confirm his input by pressing enter or clicking in another component.

I already tried keyReleased, propertyChange, etc. but nothing worked.

I hope anyone can help
thx martin

Comments

• davitefdavitef Posts: 8Member
    From JDK Help:
    "
    Although JComboBox inherits methods to register listeners for low-level events -- focus, key, and mouse events, for example -- we recommend that you don't listen for low-level events on a combo box. Here's why: A combo box is a compound component -- it is comprised of two or more other components. The combo box itself fires high-level events such as action events. Its subcomponents fire low-level events such as mouse, key, and focus events. The low-level events and the subcomponent that fires them are look-and-feel-dependent. To avoid writing look-and-feel-dependent code, you should listen only for high-level events on a compound component such as a combo box.
    "

From tutorial:
    "
    Problem: My combo box [PENDING: other compound components?] isn't generating focus, [PENDING: list of other low-level events here] events.
    Blah blah blah compound component blah blah blah low-level events.
    "

It's a Java problem!

: Hi!
    :
    : I want to react when the user enters text in a jcombobox (as soon as he enters the first character). He should not have to confirm his input by pressing enter or clicking in another component.
    :
    : I already tried keyReleased, propertyChange, etc. but nothing worked.
    :
    : I hope anyone can help
    : thx martin
    :

• ammar_gamarammar_gamar Posts: 1Member
    : Hi!
    :
    : I want to react when the user enters text in a jcombobox (as soon as
    : he enters the first character). He should not have to confirm his
    : input by pressing enter or clicking in another component.
    :
    : I already tried keyReleased, propertyChange, etc. but nothing
    : worked.
    :
    : I hope anyone can help
    : thx martin
    :
    :
    hi i have the same problem and i think the interface javax.swing.JComboBox.KeySelectionManager is maybe the solution to this problem, see how to implemenet it