Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

HELP!!! How to create ODBC Connection on the fly

KyleKyle Posts: 4Member
I would like to know how to create an ODBC conection on the fly. I am usung Access 97. HELP!!!!! I have a table with all the information in it call Source_Systems. I would like to use this application when new people jion the department.

Kyle

Comments

• toe63toe63 Posts: 23Member
    : I would like to know how to create an ODBC conection on the fly. I am usung Access 97. HELP!!!!! I have a table with all the information in it call Source_Systems. I would like to use this application when new people jion the department.
    :
    : Kyle
    :
    How about dim cnnSource_Systems as Connection
    set cnnSource_Systems = Application.CurrentProject.Connection. Will that do it?
    Sandy

• KyleKyle Posts: 4Member
    : : I would like to know how to create an ODBC conection on the fly. I am usung Access 97. HELP!!!!! I have a table with all the information in it call Source_Systems. I would like to use this application when new people jion the department.
    : :
    : : Kyle
    : How about dim cnnSource_Systems as Connection
    : set cnnSource_Systems = Application.CurrentProject.Connection. Will that do it?
    : Sandy
    :
    :
    Sandy,

thank you for your reply. It is not quite what I want. I need to write a ruotine that when a new person comes to the department or gets a new computer, They click one button and all the ODBC connections are made dased on a table We keep. There are 15 differant ODBC connectionss they need to make. I would Like to do this so every one has the same spelling and setups.

Any forther input would be helpfull. I am looking into your Idea. Again Thank you.

Kyle Gaynor
    kmg8950@hotmail.com

• Bruno HolvoetBruno Holvoet Posts: 1Member
    : I would like to know how to create an ODBC conection on the fly. I am usung Access 97. HELP!!!!! I have a table with all the information in it call Source_Systems. I would like to use this application when new people jion the department.
    :
    : Kyle
    :

I've got that problem to.
    My solution:

Create first a FILE -DSN in the ODBC manager.
    PLace the filedsn's on the client PC.

Now you can use these filedsn's in place of the normal ODBC system DSN's.

You have also the posibility to change the Filedsn, with code, in order to make it posible to link to other servers with the same database structures.

A filedsn is only a textfile.

So you don't need to make a new odbc entry everytime. Use the Filedsn's. Placing them in the programm's directory makes it easy for you.
    The programm is working, even the very first time.

• KyleKyle Posts: 4Member
    Thank you for your help! the File Dsn is the way I will attack this issue. I also would like to know if there is a way to make system DSN's in the same way.

Again thanks to both of you. I allready found code to help me with the file DSN thank you you both.

: : I would like to know how to create an ODBC conection on the fly. I am usung Access 97. HELP!!!!! I have a table with all the information in it call Source_Systems. I would like to use this application when new people jion the department.
    : : Kyle
    :
    : I've got that problem to.
    : My solution:
    :
    : Create first a FILE -DSN in the ODBC manager.
    : PLace the filedsn's on the client PC.
    :
    : Now you can use these filedsn's in place of the normal ODBC system DSN's.
    :
    : You have also the posibility to change the Filedsn, with code, in order to make it posible to link to other servers with the same database structures.
    :
    : A filedsn is only a textfile.
    :
    : So you don't need to make a new odbc entry everytime. Use the Filedsn's. Placing them in the programm's directory makes it easy for you.
    : The programm is working, even the very first time.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

Kyle Gaynor
    kmg8950@hotmail.com