Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

The exe format

PuzzlerPuzzler Posts: 208Member
I was thinking I might make a simple language that only I would use. I would rather have exes than a runtime engine so if anyone could tell me what the format of an exe is, I would really like it.

Comments

• MainForzeMainForze Posts: 36Member
    : I was thinking I might make a simple language that only I would use. I would rather have exes than a runtime engine so if anyone could tell me what the format of an exe is, I would really like it.
    :

Goto www.wotsit.org, a website that list all kinds of fileformats. Search for .exe there.

• AcheronAcheron Posts: 26Member
    : : I was thinking I might make a simple language that only I would use. I would rather have exes than a runtime engine so if anyone could tell me what the format of an exe is, I would really like it.
    : :
    :
    : Goto www.wotsit.org, a website that list all kinds of fileformats. Search for .exe there.
    :

COM is a much simpler executable format dating from the days of CP/M. Still runs under all modern operating systems, all seg regs point to the same segment, and it has no header, code just starts at offset 0. (The 256 buffer in front is no longer required)

• BASIC FriendBASIC Friend Posts: 354Member
    : : : I was thinking I might make a simple language that only I would use. I would rather have exes than a runtime engine so if anyone could tell me what the format of an exe is, I would really like it.
    : : :
    : : Goto www.wotsit.org, a website that list all kinds of fileformats. Search for .exe there.
    :
    : COM is a much simpler executable format dating from the days of CP/M. Still runs under all modern operating systems, all seg regs point to the same segment, and it has no header, code just starts at offset 0. (The 256 buffer in front is no longer required)
    :
    :
    Code starts at 100h for a COM.

• AcheronAcheron Posts: 26Member
    Not anymore. That's what the last line was saying. If you want to see COM files w/o the 256 byte header, look at ones produced by the A86 assembler.

• BASIC FriendBASIC Friend Posts: 354Member
    : Not anymore. That's what the last line was saying. If you want to see COM files w/o the 256 byte header, look at ones produced by the A86 assembler.
    :
    HECK! I didn't know that. I've started all my COMs at 100h since 1986! I still use TASM for my asm. Anyhoo, EXE's are really not all that difficult to code. You just need to set up the segments and allocate a stack. Not all that hard.

Change of subject. I think puzzler is looking into writing a compiler. With that I wish him all the luck in the world. If this is what he's doing he ought to visit this website: http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/moonrock.html
    Maybe even write to it's author.