String to Integer - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

String to Integer

CheeseMonkeyCheeseMonkey Posts: 2Member
I'm making this program that requires taking a number from a file and using it in the program. Is there anyway i can take an integer from a file? How can a change that number in the file to an integer?

Thanks for everyones help

Comments

• billywm664billywm664 Posts: 176Member
    To get a string from a text file -
    First, have the file open of course:

OPEN "filename.txt" for input as #1

Filename.txt should be replaced with whatever the filename is

Then, to input, read in lines of text into a string variable:

line input #1, a$

This will get one line from the file into a$. To print it out to the screen as an integer:

print val(int(a$))

You can omit int and just use val(a$), but then it wont necessarily be an integer. could be floating point, etc.

: I'm making this program that requires taking a number from a file and using it in the program. Is there anyway i can take an integer from a file? How can a change that number in the file to an integer?
    :
    : Thanks for everyones help
    :

• retrogeekretrogeek Posts: 93Member
    : To get a string from a text file -
    : First, have the file open of course:
    :
    : OPEN "filename.txt" for input as #1
    :
    : Filename.txt should be replaced with whatever the filename is
    :
    : Then, to input, read in lines of text into a string variable:
    :
    : line input #1, a$
    :
    : This will get one line from the file into a$. To print it out to the screen as an integer:
    :
    : print val(int(a$))
    :
    : You can omit int and just use val(a$), but then it wont necessarily be an integer. could be floating point, etc.
    :
    : : I'm making this program that requires taking a number from a file and using it in the program. Is there anyway i can take an integer from a file? How can a change that number in the file to an integer?
    : :
    : : Thanks for everyones help
    : :
    :
    :

You have val and int reversed. An oversight I'm sure. Should be:
    print int(val(a$))

rg