Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Troubling making stand-alone exe

DavidSDavidS Posts: 7Member
Whenever I try to compile a certain program into a stand-alone exe I get an error message and the attempt fails. The error is:

LINK: FATAL ERROR L1104 C:QBASICBCOM.LIB: NOT VALID LIBRARY

What does this mean and what am I doing wrong?

Comments

• deldel Posts: 51Member
    : LINK: FATAL ERROR L1104 C:QBASICBCOM.LIB: NOT VALID LIBRARY

Just guessing, but the file might be in the wrong directory or missing altogether, or it could be corrupted.

First check that the file BCOM.LIB is actually in the C:QBASIC directory. If it isn't, either move it into that directory, or change the path in QB to the correct path (do this by going to "Options" in QB, and then go to "Set Paths", and then go to the box "Library files .LIB, .QLB" and type in the correct directory).

If you can't find the file BCOM.LIB at all on your computer, I'd suggest downloading QB again.

• DavidSDavidS Posts: 7Member
    : : LINK: FATAL ERROR L1104 C:QBASICBCOM.LIB: NOT VALID LIBRARY
    :
    : Just guessing, but the file might be in the wrong directory or missing altogether, or it could be corrupted.
    :
    : First check that the file BCOM.LIB is actually in the C:QBASIC directory. If it isn't, either move it into that directory, or change the path in QB to the correct path (do this by going to "Options" in QB, and then go to "Set Paths", and then go to the box "Library files .LIB, .QLB" and type in the correct directory).
    :
    : If you can't find the file BCOM.LIB at all on your computer, I'd suggest downloading QB again.
    :

There is a file called BCOM45.LIB in the Qbasic directory. Is this what I am looking for? There is no BCOM.LIB though.

If I do have to download QB again where is a good place to do so. I had a lot of trouble finding the place I did (which is now defunct).

Thanks

: There is a file called BCOM45.LIB in the Qbasic directory. Is this what I am looking for? There is no BCOM.LIB though.
    :
    : If I do have to download QB again where is a good place to do so. I had a lot of trouble finding the place I did (which is now defunct).

Yes, it will probably be called BCOM45.LIB if you are using QB version 4.5. I am using that version and the file in my version is called BCOM45.LIB as well, but it works fine on mine.

Try setting the path of your LIB files under "Options" in QB, or alternatively you could try renaming the file BCOM45.LIB to BCOM.LIB.

You can also try compiling your programs manually from DOS. Use BC.EXE (it should be in your QB dir) to convert your .BAS file to a .OBJ file (object file). Then use LINK.EXE to convert the .OBJ file you have created into an .EXE file.

It will ask you for some file names (eg. source listing [NUL.LST]), but most of them have a default value in brackets which you can just press enter to accept. When using LINK.EXE it will ask you for your library file, try typing BCOM45.LIB.

Hope I've helped!

: : There is a file called BCOM45.LIB in the Qbasic directory. Is this what I am looking for? There is no BCOM.LIB though.
    : :
    : : If I do have to download QB again where is a good place to do so. I had a lot of trouble finding the place I did (which is now defunct).
    :
    : Yes, it will probably be called BCOM45.LIB if you are using QB version 4.5. I am using that version and the file in my version is called BCOM45.LIB as well, but it works fine on mine.
    :
    : Try setting the path of your LIB files under "Options" in QB, or alternatively you could try renaming the file BCOM45.LIB to BCOM.LIB.
    :
    : You can also try compiling your programs manually from DOS. Use BC.EXE (it should be in your QB dir) to convert your .BAS file to a .OBJ file (object file). Then use LINK.EXE to convert the .OBJ file you have created into an .EXE file.
    :
    : It will ask you for some file names (eg. source listing [NUL.LST]), but most of them have a default value in brackets which you can just press enter to accept. When using LINK.EXE it will ask you for your library file, try typing BCOM45.LIB.
    :
    : Hope I've helped!
    :
    :
    Yes, you are being very helpful!

Unfortunetly, both renaming BCOM.LIB and manually compiling the program failed to work, as well as attempting to change the library path! BCOM45.LIB just isn't accepted anywhere!!! #$@%^!!!

Any more suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
    David

Sorry, I don't know what else to do! Maybe the library file is corrupted. I suppose you could try downloading QB 4.5 again.

: Sorry, I don't know what else to do! Maybe the library file is corrupted. I suppose you could try downloading QB 4.5 again.
    :
    :
    Thank you for all of the help.

Do you know of a place to download QB4.5?