How to sort a table... - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How to sort a table...

nearlycanadiannearlycanadian Posts: 14Member
My question is this:
I have a VBA script that (among other things) reads information from a table and stores it in an array (the size of the table). What I would like to know is this: Is it possible to sort it (using an SQL statement) by more than one column in the table? Let's say my statement looks like this...

strSQL = "SELECT * FROM testdb_main ORDER BY Name, Date"
Set rstTest = dbsTest.OpenRecordset(strSQL)

If I do this, it will only order it by name, and the dates are all over the place.

If anyone could help me, I would truly appreciate it. Thank you.

Comments

• matthewmmatthewm Posts: 5Member
    : My question is this:
    : I have a VBA script that (among other things) reads information from a table and stores it in an array (the size of the table). What I would like to know is this: Is it possible to sort it (using an SQL statement) by more than one column in the table? Let's say my statement looks like this...
    :
    : strSQL = "SELECT * FROM testdb_main ORDER BY Name, Date"
    : Set rstTest = dbsTest.OpenRecordset(strSQL)
    :
    : If I do this, it will only order it by name, and the dates are all over the place.
    :
    : If anyone could help me, I would truly appreciate it. Thank you.
    :

suggestion...

strSQL = "SELECT * FROM testdb_main ORDER BY testdb_main.Name, testdb_main.Date

...posit... the SQL interpreter is interpreting Date as the date function Date() not as the column name Date in table testdb_main. So force it by explicitly naming the table in the ORDER clause.

it may be a daft idea (don't have the version to hand to try out) but Microsoft products are pretty darn stupid...
    message me back if it works!