new guy needs help - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

new guy needs help

hughesbuddyhughesbuddy Posts: 1Member
i'm new to programming pretty much but it's my lifetime goal to become a programmer i have a c++ programmer and a BASIC compiler with libraries but i still don't get it all. i want to learn BASIC first and then maybe C++ but i can't find any understandable files that teach the BASIC language. i have been practicing with a program i downloaded it's the darkBASIC compiler and i can make very crude and simple 2d squares i want to make a game that i have been planning and drawing out for the past 2 years. i need any resources anyone can give or any links to resources to help me make my game. Thank you.

Comments

• Dr. COM WIZDr. COM WIZ Posts: 74Member
    : i'm new to programming pretty much but it's my lifetime goal to become a programmer i have a c++ programmer and a BASIC compiler with libraries but i still don't get it all. i want to learn BASIC first and then maybe C++ but i can't find any understandable files that teach the BASIC language. i have been practicing with a program i downloaded it's the darkBASIC compiler and i can make very crude and simple 2d squares i want to make a game that i have been planning and drawing out for the past 2 years. i need any resources anyone can give or any links to resources to help me make my game. Thank you.
    :
    Hello,
    This is Dr. COM WIZ. I was once like you, planning games on paper and mentally, waiting for the day when I would finally be able to make them. However, now that I am 13 years old and am finally reaching my advanced stage in programming, I forgot about almost all of the plans that I've been making for years! I have a habit of jumping into the coding and pondering in front of the computer, too lazy to use a pencil and a sketchbook. Why am I telling ou this? Well, please, just be careful that this doesn't happen to you. If you want to be a professional game programmer like I want to be, you will have to learn how to plan, plan well, and stick to your plans.

So, what about the programming part? There are lots and lots of sites on the internet on Qbasic or atleast featuring QBasic. In fact there are thousands from what I know. The first one I learned about is www.qbasic.com . This site [italic] was [/italic] hosted by a 17-year-old, but ever since he graduated high school, the site was never ever updated! This should bring no worries to you, though. The tutorials are still good and date to about 1999 or so. You'll have fun here.

I also know of www.cosmosqb.com . This site was abandoned with a goodbye note from the author. It is also up for grabs. So, if you want it and think you can handle a site, take it(To HTML programmers)! I don' think you can learn much here. It looks like a place for QBasic entertainment.

There are more sites, but my favorite is www.qb4all.cjn.net . It is very beautifally designed. This is really a site to grow up with. You'll gain your ticket to advanced programming right here. Start off knowing nothing at all and become an expert.

I have 10s of QBasic sites on my favorites list. If you prefer, I can post them on the board for you to look at. In the mean time, I hope you enjoy these sites. And don't forget: keep planning! :-)

This has been,
    Dr. COM WIZ
    PS Thank you and goodnight!

• aaaaaa Posts: 5Member
    Welcome to the wonderful world of programming!

Forget about Qbasic, and instead go to www.blitzbasic.com and download the demo... Then goto(hehe) www.blitzbasement.com and read the message boards!

Buying Blitz will be the best investment You have ever made...

regards,

Andy

>: i'm new to programming pretty much but it's my lifetime goal >to become a programmer i have a c++ programmer and a BASIC >compiler with libraries but i still don't get it all. i want >to learn BASIC first and then maybe C++ but i can't find any >understandable files that teach the BASIC language. i have >been practicing with a program i downloaded it's the darkBASIC >compiler and i can make very crude and simple 2d squares i want >to make a game that i have been planning and drawing out for >the past 2 years. i need any resources anyone can give or any >links to resources to help me make my game. Thank you.
    >:

• BASIC FriendBASIC Friend Posts: 354Member
    : i'm new to programming pretty much but it's my lifetime goal to become a programmer i have a c++ programmer and a BASIC compiler with libraries but i still don't get it all. i want to learn BASIC first and then maybe C++ but i can't find any understandable files that teach the BASIC language. i have been practicing with a program i downloaded it's the darkBASIC compiler and i can make very crude and simple 2d squares i want to make a game that i have been planning and drawing out for the past 2 years. i need any resources anyone can give or any links to resources to help me make my game. Thank you.
    :
    This guy has a real good tut for QBASIC: http://sr7.xoom.com/escp/

If your goal is C++, I'd honestly suggest learning C instead of QB. You can find lots of good tuts for C all over the net. Now if you also want to learn VisualBasic too, well QB all you want!

Programmers Heaven has TurboC! I'd suggest learning C with that. It's IDE reminds me alot of QB. It's also a legal copy.