Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

BASIC AND WINDOWS NT

aepreeceaepreece Posts: 1Member
From a complete beginner - in programming - Is there
any version of basic that will display properly in Windows nt?
I want to develop an introductory programming course using
a basic type language as a preliminary to teaching a Visual
Basic course ?

Comments

• BASIC FriendBASIC Friend Posts: 354Member
    : From a complete beginner - in programming - Is there
    : any version of basic that will display properly in Windows nt?
    : I want to develop an introductory programming course using
    : a basic type language as a preliminary to teaching a Visual
    : Basic course ?
    :
    I know of several people that programs with QB, who has NT. QB runs from DOS, but I don't see any problem. Also QB is the forerunner of Visual Basic, and the syntax is almost idententical. QB programs will also compile with VBDOS.

• Dr. COM WIZDr. COM WIZ Posts: 74Member
    : : From a complete beginner - in programming - Is there
    : : any version of basic that will display properly in Windows nt?
    : : I want to develop an introductory programming course using
    : : a basic type language as a preliminary to teaching a Visual
    : : Basic course ?
    : :
    : I know of several people that programs with QB, who has NT. QB runs from DOS, but I don't see any problem. Also QB is the forerunner of Visual Basic, and the syntax is almost idententical. QB programs will also compile with VBDOS.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Hello, BASIC Friend,
    This is Dr. COM WIZ. Is it true that VisualBasic and QBasic have an almost identical syntax? Well, that is what you just said, but I want to know if you're only talking about VBDOS or if you mean both VBDOS [italic] and [/italic] VisualBasic for Windows have this syntax. If you do, then I'll learn to use VisualBasic TODAY!

I realy want to be a Winodws programmer!
    This has been,
    Dr. COM WIZ
    PS Thank you and goodnight!

• DymanicDymanic Posts: 63Member
    That's not what I heard. Now mind you, I don't have VB, so I can't speak from personal experience here. But I remember a discussion about this recently on another board, and someone was saying that QB progs won't compile in VB. Now don't you wish we knew for sure?
    I have a box that has NT (kinda old version), but I pretty much never use NT - I keep it in pure DOS. QB runs faster that way than it does in a DOS box out of (any kind of ) windows.

: That's not what I heard. Now mind you, I don't have VB, so I can't speak from personal experience here. But I remember a discussion about this recently on another board, and someone was saying that QB progs won't compile in VB. Now don't you wish we knew for sure?
    : I have a box that has NT (kinda old version), but I pretty much never use NT - I keep it in pure DOS. QB runs faster that way than it does in a DOS box out of (any kind of ) windows.
    :
    :
    I was talking about VBDOS. QB programs compile just fine with VBDOS, but I have no idea if they'll compile with any of the other VBs. I know, because I compile QB programs with VBDOS all the time. I don't even have QB on my computer anymore, because I haven't had any problem with it yet.

VBDOS was built on top of PDS7.0 M$ kept VBDOS compatable with PDS, so it's also compatable with QB4.5

: : : From a complete beginner - in programming - Is there
    : : : any version of basic that will display properly in Windows nt?
    : : : I want to develop an introductory programming course using
    : : : a basic type language as a preliminary to teaching a Visual
    : : : Basic course ?
    : : :
    : : I know of several people that programs with QB, who has NT. QB runs from DOS, but I don't see any problem. Also QB is the forerunner of Visual Basic, and the syntax is almost idententical. QB programs will also compile with VBDOS.
    : Hello, BASIC Friend,
    : This is Dr. COM WIZ. Is it true that VisualBasic and QBasic have an almost identical syntax? Well, that is what you just said, but I want to know if you're only talking about VBDOS or if you mean both VBDOS [italic] and [/italic] VisualBasic for Windows have this syntax. If you do, then I'll learn to use VisualBasic TODAY!
    :
    : I realy want to be a Winodws programmer!
    : This has been,
    : Dr. COM WIZ
    : PS Thank you and goodnight!
    :
    :
    Hey COM WIZ,

VBDOS [red]is[/red] Visual Basic!

Actually, I was refering to VBDOS, when I said that it will compile QB programs, but the syntax of visual basic for windows is also simialar. I did noticed several minor differences in the windows version that I've used. The biggest difference is the OO aproach to forms and controls.

• DymanicDymanic Posts: 63Member
    Saw you see me ask about this on the VB board. Jeez, I didn't even know there was a VBDOS! Gotta have it.

• Dr. COM WIZDr. COM WIZ Posts: 74Member
    : Saw you see me ask about this on the VB board. Jeez, I didn't even know there was a VBDOS! Gotta have it.
    :
    Are you asking for one? Well, I can't give it to you. Why? Well, because I don't have one! Why? This download is rather lengthly. It was late at night when I started downloading, but Mom ordered me to sleep at that instant. When she did, I tried to fiddle around with the computer, acting like I was doing something important when I was really waiting for the downlaod to finish. However, since Mom has a big belt, I didn't make it. I had to stop the download until later.

If you are patient enough, (and have a DSL, I might add) you can download it at my favorite QBasic site, www.qb4all.cjn.net . Scroll down (after the hour it takes for the pictures to load) and click on "Compilers." There are 6 versions of Qbasic and lots of VBs, including VBDOS. While the download continues, navigate through this site and you'll find superior content compared to other QBasic sites.

This has been,
    Dr. COM WIZ
    PS Thank you and goodnight!